galvanized unistrut sculpture?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mux

Reaction score
I have some left over galvanized strut, I'm thinking of using for a single tier brew stand. I read some place that heating galvanized steel releases toxic fumes. Has any one heard of this? Any ideas or suggestions.

I know you shouldn't weld it because of the toxic fumes. McMaster-Carr and other industrial suppliers sell connectors you can use instead of welding.

I was thinking of going this route when I build mine. This way if I want to move or change something it's not completely welded together. They have many different connectors and accessories that could work well for constructing a brew stand.

Edit

Now I get what you mean with the heat of the burners. Might not be a good idea with the galvanized. I was looking into the painted or stainless. I was just thinking of the construction of the stand.

It's fine to use, many here have done it. Just run a test fire to burn the coating off. You might try searching 'weldless' to get more info.
-cheers

brewingmeister said:
It's fine to use, many here have done it. Just run a test fire to burn the coating off. You might try searching 'weldless' to get more info.
-cheers

Yea I just remember what my welding instructor told me about welding galvanized. I didn't know if that still applied to open flame. Good to know it can be used for a brew rig.

Back