Effects of to much re-yeasting on flavor

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

WalkingStickMan

Reaction score
Hi all,

I recently bottled a saison with brettanomyces that had been in the secondary for about 5 months. To insure proper carbonation, I decided to reyeast at bottling (probably unnecessary anyway). I got a bit more of the yeast in the water I was using to rehydrate than I intended, and probably pitched between a half to three quarters of a pack of dry yeast into the bottling bucket instead of the quarter pack that I was shooting for.

Has anyone ever "over" repitched? Any noticeable affect on flavor? I'm hoping that once the yeast have a chance to drop out in storage and in the fridge, that any perceivable "yeasty" flavor will be gone. I am concerned about possible autolysis flavors though that may come from a more than usual amount of yeast in the bottle.

I'm also curious about how the brett might react with he autolysis that could occur, considering that I believe brett can metabolize the dead yeast cells (maybe a topic for the wild beer forum section). Anyway, any insight?

Regular yeast can metabolize autolysed yeast, too. Social cannibalism and wotnot :)

Assuming you have reasonable storage of your beer, it'll be fine. You might have slightly more sludge on the bottom of the bottle than you would otherwise, but even that might not be noticeable.

Back