brew stand question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

jakobic

Reaction score
my self and a buddy would like to build two brew stands. brutus 10 style. I have found that onlinemetals.com has a good selection to work with. can anyone tell me if i can use aluminum for this build? if not I am looking at stainless angle bar 1"x1"x1/8" will this work or do i need to go with 3/16"?
thanks.

As I understand it, aluminum has a melting temp that is too low for such use. Your second question I'll leave to a real engineer.

Aluminum is going to hard for you to weld, i'd stick with steel or stainless. I'm using 1"x1"x1/8" stainless angle for anything touching flame and it works great. Angle is a bit harder to work with than tube, and tube does look nicer.

Shipping could eat you alive, and you might want to see what the possibilities are before buying. There are industrial metal stores in Pittsburgh/Cleveland that do retail sales.

As I understand it, aluminum has a melting temp that is too low for such use. Your second question I'll leave to a real engineer.

+1 - aluminum anywhere near the burners will soften and sag. Even thin steel can have problems. better to stick with stainless 3/16 anywhere near the heat source.

also, make sure its got space to expand. when you heat it, it WILL expand. if the ends are constrained too much it WILL deform. this is easily accomplished by have some flexibility towards the top of the stand.

Back