Swollen Yeast Pack

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

cmw6300

Reaction score
I just received my kit from AHS yesterday and the yeast pack was already swollen. This is the second time in as many orders that this has happened from AHS. I guess I am asking is if this is a problem? The other beer I brewed with the last pack seems to have fermented out fine. I went ahead and stuck this one in the fridge after I took an inventory of the kit.

Chad

I just received my kit from AHS yesterday and the yeast pack was already swollen. This is the second time in as many orders that this has happened from AHS. I guess I am asking is if this is a problem? The other beer I brewed with the last pack seems to have fermented out fine. I went ahead and stuck this one in the fridge after I took an inventory of the kit.

Chad

It is very likely that the smack pack inflated simply due to the change in elevation when shipped to Colorado. The yeast was packaged at very near sea level. I would expect it to happen every time as you are more than a mile high IIRC. The atmospheric pressure will be lower at your elevation causing the mylar pouch to inflate. Nothing at all to worry about. The yeast will be fine.

I second that it is fine. The packs often inflate on their own.

Never actually thought of the elevation change. That does make sense though! Thanks guys!

Chad

If I wanted to make a starter from this how would I go about doing it. I don't have a stir plate and usually just smack the pack and toss it in. I have done the yeast rehydration thing on my first batch so would it be something along those lines, pour it into a mason jar and see if it takes off? Thanks for any help guys!

Chad

It's not a problem, however if you want to avoid it in the future, buy White Labs (tube) yeast.

Now that I think about it, you rarely see posts about the tubes of yeast - it's only the smack pack that causes issues. It's swollen, it's not swollen, did I break the inner packet, the inner packet won't break. The only tube issues seem to be when someone opens the cap too fast and the yeast flies out (note- open cap just a bit to let CO2 escape, just like you would do with a warm soda).

Now that I think about it, you rarely see posts about the tubes of yeast - it's only the smack pack that causes issues. It's swollen, it's not swollen, did I break the inner packet, the inner packet won't break. The only tube issues seem to be when someone opens the cap too fast and the yeast flies out (note- open cap just a bit to let CO2 escape, just like you would do with a warm soda).

And folks don't realize it doesn't really matter if the pack swells or not.

From the Wyeast FAQ website:

3. Does the package need to be fully swollen before pitching?

No, The package can be pitched before activating, or at anytime during the activation process. The activation process "jump starts" the culture's metabolism, minimizing the lag phase.

Smacking though fun, is never really necessary.

The previous package I got was also swollen and when I cut the top off of that one the activator package was not broken. I ended up pouring in what was in the pouch, then breaking the activator and poured that in as well. My batch of Centennial Blonde has since fermented out nicely to 1.008.

Back