Effects of Dry Hopping on Clarity

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sendkyleanemail

Reaction score
Hi guys and gals, thanks for all the support and help!

I am curious if dry hopping poses a threat to beer clarity. Any thoughts?

Yes, it can cause a bit of a haze when heavily dry hopped in an otherwise clear beer. But, keep in mind that appearance is only 3 points out of the 50 used to judge beer. In my experience a slight haze will only cost you maybe 1 point in a competition. Additionally, if you look at the BJCP description for IPAs it even says that a slight haze from dry hopping is acceptable. So, I wouldn't worry about it. Flavor, Aroma, Mouthfeel are much more important than clarity.
With that being said, I've had some extremely clear IPAs even after excessive dry hopping, especially when I do a cold crash before kegging.

This certainly isn't a competition level beer, hehe. It's actually my first AG porter, and it is, somehow, crystal clear! Clarity has never really meant alot to me, but now that I have a super clear beer I don't want to risk it, hehe. I was gonna dry hop with an ounce of Fuggles for 3-4 days for just a hint more complexity in the nose, but I may skip it...

one ounce of dry hops shouldnt affect clarity in any noticeable way. When you get into the 3, 4 or 5+ oz territory you will start seeing haze...

Back