Stepping up after 38 hrs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RonRock

Always Ready
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I work a 24 hr shift. Getting ready to do an 11 gallon batch. So need to step up my 1056 yeast starter. I did a 2 liter and put it on my stirplats 38 hours ago. Now I am ready to step up to 4 liter.

Question is after 38 hours would I be wise to crash cool and decant tomorrow. Or will I be OK to add the next 2 liters into the flask and let it go? I'd like to brew Sunday, but more likely will be Monday.

38 hours is definitely enough time for the first step.

If you've determined that an extra 2L step is all you need, then I feel that it's fine to just add it to what you have. I'd definitely decant all 4L before pitching, though.

Thanks, Yeah I was more concerned that 38 hours is longer than suggested to pitch on top of. Seems I've read 18-24 hours is best time to step up.

I'll defiantly decant before pitching.

Even if the yeast are completely dormant it's fine to pitch them into a fresh starter (or wort for that matter). I feel like the only time you have to be concerned about pitching dormant yeast into anything is if you're trying to remedy a stuck fermentation, or you're pitching a second strain into an active batch... basically, any situation where some other yeast have already eaten all the nutrients and a lot of the sugars.

In the case of your starter, you're adding new nutrients, food, and oxygen so as far as the yeast are concerned, it's a whole new environment.

Back