Aluminum Camlocks?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

maximus

Reaction score
I am starting to piece together the parts for a pump driven brew system and I am looking at camlocks. The aluminum camlocks cost roughly 30% that of their stainless steel counterparts. Other than the bling factor is there any reason to not use aluminum camlocks. This would be a fairly significant savings for me, but I also don't want to have to rebuy everything in stainless if I am missing something. I have seen claims that you cannot use cleaners like oxyclean on aluminum, but I have also heard the opposite as well. During my first few batches as an extract brewer, I used an aluminum turkey fryer without issue. Is there any compelling reason not to use aluminum camlocks? Thank you.

The aluminum won't stand up to the Oxygen Based Cleaners, nor will they stand up to a caustic cleaner. For the price difference the SS is the only way to go!

Back