just an observation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

OHIOSTEVE

Reaction score
I was bored a while back and made a gallon of spiced tea wine.. Used spice orange tea and sugar +yeast...anyway let it ferment out and get clear. Racked it and tasted it.. it was HORRID......let it set a while longer and racked again and still horrid but bottled it anyway and stuck it in the basement to see if aging it would help at all....ALL BUT a one half pint bottle a little over half full. I stuck that in the fridge and for some reason forgot about it.....yesterday I saw the cap of a bottle sticking up from behind the shelf in the fridge..pulled it out and sure enough it was the spiced tea wine.... I unscrewed the cap and took a sip, and it was actually pretty good!!! I wonder what the rest will taste like after a few more months in the basement????

Probably approaching borderline drinkable - age softens many offensive flavors. Reminds me of a friend's experiment with "Zeroth Order" wine. What happens if you give the yeast just what it needs, and nothing else: water, sugar, yeast nutrient. After a year you could drink it, but I don't think it ever approached anything worth drinking.

Back