Racking Day!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Yooper

Ale's What Cures You!
Staff member
Admin
Mod
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I didn't take any photos, but today I racked 5 gallons of blackberry, 4 gallons of plum, and two gallons of cranberry wine.

All are dry, and clear. The blackberry is excellent. The plum is well, ok. It was made from brown wild plums a friend gave me. It has a concord-grape type taste to it and is a bit tart. The cranberry was made from a HUGE can of whole cranberry sauce I found at the Dollar Store. It was about 4 pounds of whole cranberry sauce. It's actually really good- blush in color and tart like cranberries.

I'm making the last of the 2010 chokecherries at the end of the week. Bob will be thawing and mashing while I'm at work, and I'll mix it up on Saturday.

What I love best about winemaking is that it's the perfect hobby for procrastinators!

What I love best about winemaking is that it's the perfect hobby for procrastinators!

I agree. I have an apple/cherry wine thats been sitting for months now that I keep looking at and saying I need to bottle you.

Wow, wine from cranberry sauce? Could you post your recipe for that - didn't see it in your personal recipes.

Thanks!

Wow, wine from cranberry sauce? Could you post your recipe for that - didn't see it in your personal recipes.

Thanks!

Sure!

1 container 6 pound 5 oz whole cranberry sauce
1 can (12 ounces) 100% white grape juice
2 pounds sugar
1 tsp pectic enzyme
2 tsp yeast nutrient

Water to 1,090- approx 2.25 gallons total.
1 pound raisins- chopped in a bag.

All mixed together, with 2 campden tablets. Next day, added premier cuvee yeast.

A couple of weeks later, when SG was 1.000, racked to 2 one-gallon juges.

Today, racked to two containers (FG .990), one 1.25 gallons, one .5 gallons, and sulfited. It's clear, and a bit tart. Could be stabililzed and sweetened, but I'm going to leave it dry.

Latest posts

Back