anybody use pellets in thier hopback?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greggor

Reaction score
want to build a hopback like I saw in an old issue of BYO mag (Oct. 2001). using a ss canister and SS braided hose. My concern is the SS braiding Won't keep the pellet particles in the hopback. Any ideas for a better design for use with hop pellets?

Gregg

I was thinking of building a hopback too and was going to use pellet hops and for a filter several layers of grain bags with weights at the edges inside the container.

I'd be afraid that a bag fine enough to hold in the hop pellets would reduce the flow too much. You want the hot wort to flow over the hops. If you just put the hops in a bag and put that inside a hopback, I don't think much wort would flow through it. It would flow around it. You'd have to direct the flow into the bag, and I think it would end up reducing flow too much. If you are thinking of something analogous to the coffee singles, remember the coffee for that is ground relatively coarsely. Have you ever tried using espresso gound coffee in a drip coffee maker? Instant plug (been there, done that).

Ok then, anyone who has a hopback please explain if you use pellet hops and the material and configuration of the container. I and others want to build a good useable hopback. We will use whole hops if need be. I want mine to be made of 304 stainless with stainless connections. I have a heliarc and can weld a sanitary weld.

WBC, here is another hopback thread you might not have seen. I have the false bottom finished in mine now but no pics of the FB yet. I think that a filter bed made of leaf and pellet should work fine. Even if some makes it though it will just settle with the cold break in the fermenter.
oops here it is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hop-back-benefits-76044/

WBC, here is another hopback thread you might not have seen. I have the false bottom finished in mine now but no pics of the FB yet. I think that a filter bed made of leaf and pellet should work fine. Even if some makes it though it will just settle with the cold break in the fermenter.
oops here it is https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f11/hop-back-benefits-76044/

Thanks, that is a nice container too. I think that will do nicely.

Back