smell question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Mango

Reaction score
Hello, I'm interested in brewing for the first time but first i have a question. I will have to store it in a closet as that's the only place where the temp is right. While it is fermenting does it give off a smell? Does it escape out the airlock on top? I don't mind but there are others in the house. Thanks :mug:

I like the smell, and it does release a lot of CO2. In my experience the hop aroma will permeate the area and mostly subsides after the active fermentation stops.

I keep my fermenters in the basement and in order to smell most brews I need to hold my nose over the airlock and smell the bubbles. The double IPA is the only one so far that made a smell cloud, and I loved it, although someone who doesn't like beer would not have.

I would put it in the closet anyway. At least you will get 1 batch. :)
Is there any way to vent the closet to the outside. You could put an exhaust fan in the ceiling to the attic which would suck air from the house into the closet and out to the attic. No one will ever know if the fan is quiet.

I had to do the same thing in my small 2 br. apartment. It doesnt smell at all, and keeping temp is very easy so long as you have A/C. The closet is actually perfect :)

PS - it WILL smell if you make Apfelwein! ......and trust me, you WILL make it eventually.....

Uh oh, I just made a batch today, I hope SWMBO doesn't mind too much. On second thought, I'm making it for her, so she'll just have to live with it.

If you keep it in a closet, make sure you take precautions for exploseve fermentations. Wheat beers can blow the top or bunge off of your fermenter.

Back