Hobgoblin Clone recipe help

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

And2k50

Reaction score
Hi, im trying to rationalise this recipe but being a noob im not really sure what it all means. can anyone translate this into a simple how to recipe with instructions as i really want to make this brew but dont know where to start

"23l at about 1050

3500g pale malt extract
250g crystal
100g black
100g chocolate malt

50g fuggles full
40g styrians 15 mins
20g stryians flame off

aim for ~30 ibu

to convert recipes just multiply the pale malt by 0.73 and if you don't want a partial mash just stick to

crystal, black, chocolate, carapils and roast barley."

Any help appreciated

Basically what's missing is it's not telling you to steep your grains in 68ºC water for 30 minutes, then drain and rinse, then add your malt and do your hop additions. When it says "full boil" it means boil them for 60 minutes. The 'flame off' portion refers to adding the hops as soon as the boil is off, so you get some nice hop aroma.

This recipe will give you a lot more information as well. It's even in metric!

I've had a go at translating it, though I don't know if it'll be much clearer. By all means ask for any clarifications necessary.

The recipe will make 23 litres of beer, with a gravity of around 1050 (though I've not checked their calculations on that). Gravity is the amount of sugar in the beer before fermentation, and is a rough guide to how much alcohol will be in the final beer.

Ingredients:

3.5kg pale malt extract (this is sold either in dried or liquid form)

250g crystal malt (these are grains)
100g black malt (grains)
100g chocolate malt (grains)

Hops: 50g Fuggles, which you boil for 60 minutes
40g Styrian Goldings, which you boil for 15 mins
20g Stryian Goldings, which you add right at the end, when you turn the boil off, and let them steep in the beer as it cools.

The bitterness rating for this beer will be around 30 ibu, which is fairly normal.

Having said all of that, I know Orfy has a recipe for Hobgoblin which is very popular, so I'd suggest you might be better going with that.
[EDIT: Doh! EvilTOJ got there first...]

Danek said:
Having said all of that, I know Orfy has a recipe for Hobgoblin which is very popular, so I'd suggest you might be better going with that.
[EDIT: Doh! EvilTOJ got there first...]

+1 on that. Plus, the recipe doesn't give individual AA% of the hops, so you'd be guessing at IBUs of each addition.

Back