Irish Midnight Red Ale- thoughts?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

RedGuitar

Reaction score
SWMBO brought me back a pound of midnight wheat from Oregon, because she is awesome like that. So, I am making up recipes to use it in. Seeing as how 1) fall is coming and 2) I love red ales, I am going to start with a red ale. Here's the recipe I came up with tonight- let me know what you think.

Partial mash, 5 gallons

2.75 lbs light DME
4 lbs UK 2 row
8 oz crystal 30
4 oz biscuit malt
4 oz flaked oat
2 oz chocolate malt
2 oz midnight wheat

1 oz EK Goldings 60 mins
.5 oz Willamette 15 mins
.5 oz Willamette 1 min

Nottingham yeast.

Anybody got an opinion? Anybody ever use midnight wheat?

I haven't used midnight wheat, but would like to. What is the SRM? I would go for a 17 SRM by adjusting the dark malts.

Can you post a pick yet? I'm curious to see how "red" the 2 0z of midnight got ya.

I just brewed this yesterday. Should have taken a picture of the gravity sample but didn't. I'll update in a few weeks.

I made an 11gallon batch of Saison last night. I was surprised to read that Saison can be as dark as 14 SRM. So I thought it would be fun to try and make one red. I tasted the Midnight Wheat at my LHBS as was really surprised that it didn't taste harsh, ash like or nasty at all for a grain rated at 550 L. It also didn't have a strong roast flavor. More of a subtle roast flavor. My LHBS recommended 2 oz. per 5 gallons, in a light beer, to get red, but I wanted to start conservatively, and added only 2.875 oz to my 11 gallon batch.

I should also probably mention that after listening to Gordon Strong on the beersmith blog that I tried his method of just steeping the dark grains (over 80L) even in my all-grain batch.

The 2.875 was added to the mash (144 F for 90 min) in a small nylon hop bag for only 30 min.

http://beersmith.com/blog/2012/05/31/advanced-home-brewing-with-gordon-strong-beersmith-podcast-39/

This is what I ended up with after the mash:
photo4.jpg

I was pretty dissapointed. It was more brown than red, so then I added another 1.125 oz of midnight wheat in a small nylon hop bag for about 20 min as the wort was heating up from 170-180 and ended up with this:
photo5.jpg

That's more like it! Guess I should have just listened to the LHBS 2oz/5 gal to begin with. I'll let you guys know in a few weeks if there's any roast flavor at all. I'm kinda hoping there isn't.

Here's my recipe

1.053 OG 24 IBUs
11 gallons 50% efficiency brew in a bag (BIG BAG!)
144-145 F 90 min mash
no rinse or sparge
101 min boil

3.3# Golden Light LME
14# Belgiean Pilsner
3.0# Toasted Rye
2.0# Sucrose
1.0# Light Munich 9 SRM
1.0# Rice
0.78# German Wheat Malt
0.68# Cara Munich 34 SRM
0.52# Caraamber 28 SRM
0.50# Honey Malt 25 SRM
0.25# Wheat Roasted 550 SRM

19 g Magnum 13.5% AA 93 min
28 g Serachi Ace 15.1% AA 5 min
28 g Strisslespalt 2.3% AA 5 min
28 g Serachi Ace 15.1% AA added as wort was cooling below 180 F
28 g Strisslespalt 2.3% AA added as wort was cooling below 180 F

1600 mL starter of Wyeast 2711 French Saison.

I'm going to split the batch 3 ways
1. as is for competition
2. 3 oz of dry hopping for me!
3. Big Can of Rasberry Puree with citra/amarillo dry hop

Here is a small sample that I pulled when transferring to secondary today. Not as dark as I imagined, but I didn't get a good crush on the midnight wheat.

image-813310668.jpg

Latest posts

Back