Wyeast Slipped

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MacGruber

Reaction score
Just had an ENTIRE opened bag of wyeast slip out of my hand and Spill all over the floor! My hands were slippery with sanitizer and it slipped just after I cut the bag! I was making a starter for Sunday. A little was left in the pouch and I got that in the starter. Should I step it up tomorrow or just try to get more yeast tomorrow? I'm so angry right now.

Starter was probably too strong for the yeast to work with. See if it goes and if not get more yeast. The better way to deal with that would have been to chill the starter with foil over it and make a little 100 ml starter in a mason jar. Then step it into the original starter.

I can't believe it! I added a tsp of yeast nutrient because I knew that I didn't get a lot in there. This morning I have a nice foamy head on the starter. I'll upload a picture here. If I'm going to step this up would I : chill it and let the yeast fall out of suspension, decant, swirl, then add more dissolved and cooled malt extract? I think that's the procedure. Any help is appreciated.

image-1730132722.jpg

I can't believe it! I added a tsp of yeast nutrient because I knew that I didn't get a lot in there. This morning I have a nice foamy head on the starter. I'll upload a picture here. If I'm going to step this up would I : chill it and let the yeast fall out of suspension, decant, swirl, then add more dissolved and cooled malt extract? I think that's the procedure. Any help is appreciated.

Wait for it to finish before chilling. How much liquid is that in there?

It was a quart. I already started chilling it because it has been.about 19 hours. I thought most yeast cell reproduction occurs in 18 hours. Should I take it back out of the fridge? I've already noticed a pretty nice band of yeast starting to form on the bottom. I'm going to be stepping this up so that I'm safe for brew day tomorrow. My next investment is going to be a stir plate and proper flask. I'm tired of not being able to see what's happening clearly.

I decanted into two sanitized mason jars before pouring fresh wort on to of the yeast. After a few hours, the mason jars have bands of yeast around the bottom and there is a huge, thick krausen in the growler. On the plus side, I have two jars to make starters with for future brews and the yeast in the growler is going strong! This accident was actually a good experience in working with yeast. The picture was taken 6 hours ago. The bands in the jars are thicker now.

image-2018217528.jpg

Back