You know you're a home brewer when?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
When you're annoyed to find that you had MORE hops and grains than you thought you did as that gets in the way of the clean out the leftovers amber ale you had planned.

IMO, you arent doing homebrewing right if excessive grains and hops arent a good thing

When you start having "beer reduction" parties for the sole purpose of burning through your inventory so you can brew more!

I started brewing 8 weeks ago. I have 65 gallons brewed so far and just tapped my first 2 kegs.

It was liquid gold if I must say. I actually enjoy double 10_ gallons days..,

I started brewing 8 weeks ago. I have 65 gallons brewed so far and just tapped my first 2 kegs.

It was liquid gold if I must say. I actually enjoy double 10_ gallons days..,

Used to love double 11 gallon days when I was young. Even did a few triples. Too old now (those 13 hour brew days are too much) an once a week BiaB is so easy.

Used to love double 11 gallon days when I was young. Even did a few triples. Too old now (those 13 hour brew days are too much) an once a week BiaB is so easy.

I'm brewing double 11s tomorrow. Everytime we (my brew partner and I) brew it is back to back 11 gallon batches. We stagger them, starting the second mash as we start the first boil. Usually finished and cleaned up in 7 hours.

We both have young kids and it is way easier to brew less often for 7 hours than twice as often for 4.5.

I'm brewing double 11s tomorrow. Everytime we (my brew partner and I) brew it is back to back 11 gallon batches. We stagger them, starting the second mash as we start the first boil. Usually finished and cleaned up in 7 hours.

We both have young kids and it is way easier to brew less often for 7 hours than twice as often for 4.5.

Yep...in my case it was a pipeline issue but from set-up to final clean-up it was basically 1.5 hours per additional session. No brainer...brew once per month or much, much more often.

Now...grind grain and fill water night before...active energy of brewing the next day...maybe 45 minutes? Even manual eBiaB is really, really simple.

Different lifestyle, different priorities.

When you're legitimately embarrassed to bring commercial beer to poker night because you don't have any homebrew bottled.
The finished ones are in kegs and I'm far too lazy to get to the others in a timely manner :(

When you're legitimately embarrassed to bring commercial beer to poker night because you don't have any homebrew bottled.
The finished ones are in kegs and I'm far too lazy to get to the others in a timely manner :(

Totally....I'm bummed I only have my graff and cider ready for the Xmas Eve family get-together...wanted to have a pale ale/SMaSH ready as well.....

When the most exciting thing that has happened to you in recent memory is visiting a brewery that uses a yeast you love, and having them give you a few mason jars of it. The looks I got from my friends while carrying my jars was also priceless. If only they understood...

Or, conversely, when you spend a ton of money on a beer you've brewed, offered some to others, & it seems like it won't be very good after all. Boy, do I feel like a clone...
Also, when you open another stout & realize the value of satin gloss paint...

When the most exciting thing that has happened to you in recent memory is visiting a brewery that uses a yeast you love, and having them give you a few mason jars of it. The looks I got from my friends while carrying my jars was also priceless. If only they understood...

I turned some heads walking into my local brewery with 3 flasks of yeast and going straight into the backroom

Nice, I just made a contact at a brewery here a few months ago. Told me to come in with containers if I ever want yeast. Haven't taken him up on it yet, but I will.

Would like to walk in there with a decent mixed sixer of HB for his troubles.

Ha! I just came to this post to say...

You're a home Brewer when you ask your wife for a food saver for Christmas!

You are a homebrewer when your dad gets your mom a food saver for xmas and you end up with it.

I eyed that thing as soon as she opened it. I could tell from teh expression on her face it wasnt going to be at all difficult to get myy hands on it

When your suitcase for Christmas in the mountains weighs 44kg/97lbs because of all the beer you're bringing with.

Theres a 50lb limit for checking bags on airplanes in the US or you incur a ridiculous extra fee. I pack a case of various homebrews every year for the holidays and lug that thing around the airport. Didnt have a scale with me to check but it hit 50.0 on the dot. Lady said I should get a prize. Glad I didnt have to open up the bag and guzzle one in front of them this year

Theres a 50lb limit for checking bags on airplanes in the US or you incur a ridiculous extra fee. I pack a case of various homebrews every year for the holidays and lug that thing around the airport. Didnt have a scale with me to check but it hit 50.0 on the dot. Lady said I should get a prize. Glad I didnt have to open up the bag and guzzle one in front of them this year

Hahaha luckily (?) I'm on the train.

I can't imagine their reaction!

You know you're a homebrewer when it's William's Brewing rather than Victoria's Secret that SWMBO chucks in the recycling straight from the mail.

Me: "aw, c'mon, babe, I have a very targeted brew toys habit, I only buy kit to address specific problems or process improvements."

Her: "well, yes, I'd like to keep it that way."

Me: "... fair enough."

When you resolve to keep a retired Ale Pail in the car at all times to carry grain...just in case the mood to run to the LHBS strikes while you're out and about.

When you resolve to keep a retired Ale Pail in the car at all times to carry grain...just in case the mood to run to the LHBS strikes while you're out and about.

hahahahaha I have a bucket with a lid in my trunk all the time for just that same thing.. Recipes on the fly are fun.

Great minds think alike.

When the central air unit sh!ts the bed and it's cold and dry in your office (50F) and your first thought is
"this office would make for a perfect lager fermentation."

jar_of_dirt_gif_by_fizzyjello-d52zqzo.gif

Immediately thought of this.

When you think is necessary to name your fermentation vessels and keep hash marks on them for # of batches (Cling: 23, Clang: 15).

Rocky died in 2015...Bulwinkle is retired (glass carboys).

When you think is necessary to name your fermentation vessels and keep hash marks on them for # of batches (Cling: 23, Clang: 15).

With names like that, we have a good idea why the glass carboys are no longer with us lol!

I keep a record of every beer I've brewed (just names and batch size), and I slap the tape from the carboy/bucket on my brew table after bottling...but this. This is a great idea.

I don't necessarily name by fermenters, but I have them marked. That way if I get an infected batch I know which one had that rolling through additional brews in case it happens again in the same fermenter.

Back