Dry Hopping?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ryan99

Reaction score
I racked an IPA to secondary today and it is in a 6gal glass carboy. How is a good way to dry hop? Should I just drop the pellets right in it or tie a hop bag to a string? I need some help.

Either way is fine. I used to use a bag, but you have to make sure it is relatively sanitized first, and getting it out of the carboy can be a PITA. Now, I just dump in pellets. They won't all settle out in the secondary, but anything that might make it into your keg or bottles will settle.

I have Fuggles, Stryian Goldings, and Amrillo. Which is better for dry hopping? and how much for an IPA? 1oz.?

ryan99 said:
I have Fuggles, Stryian Goldings, and Amrillo. Which is better for dry hopping? and how much for an IPA? 1oz.?

My preference would be Amarillo then Fuggles. But it is completely a personal choice.

i would not use a bag. just throw the pellets in the carboy, then when you rack to bottling bucket use a muslim bag at the end of your cane. it will serve as a filter. you can sanitize your bag by microwaving it. good luck i am sure it will be great.

How strange I come on tonight to ask about dry hopping and here's a thread.
Friday night I racked an American Pale Ale from the primary to secondary. Prior to racking I added 1 oz. of Cascade pellets (just dumped them into the carboy)and racked on top them. By the time the transfer was complete all of the pellets had dissolved / broken up and were mostly floating on the top. Fermentation had started again by morning and here it is Sunday night and I am still getting bubbles every 25 - 30 seconds. Just curious about a couple of things - is this method of dry hopping effective, and is the additional fermentation normal?
I am still a newb so please pardon the possible stupidity of these questions. This is my third batch (I bottled an Amber Ale Friday as well!) and my first dry hop.
Thanks for your input.

cclloyd said:
How strange I come on tonight to ask about dry hopping and here's a thread.
Friday night I racked an American Pale Ale from the primary to secondary. Prior to racking I added 1 oz. of Cascade pellets (just dumped them into the carboy)and racked on top them. By the time the transfer was complete all of the pellets had dissolved / broken up and were mostly floating on the top. Fermentation had started again by morning and here it is Sunday night and I am still getting bubbles every 25 - 30 seconds. Just curious about a couple of things - is this method of dry hopping effective, and is the additional fermentation normal?
I am still a newb so please pardon the possible stupidity of these questions. This is my third batch (I bottled an Amber Ale Friday as well!) and my first dry hop.
Thanks for your input.

You dont need a bag for pellets, but the best way IMO to dryhop is with whole or plugs in a bag weighted down with food grade stainless ball bearings. Fresh whole hops are the best way to get an in your face aroma, and since they will float about 30% end up not being in the beer so I wiegh them down.

Dont get me wrong pellets are great, I just think whole are better. I bitter and flavor almost always with pellets, then flame-out and dry with plug or whole.

Back