Fat tire in a can

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

flyingwmelon

Reaction score
Was at the store today and saw this. When I started drinking Fat Tire It was tasty now it is/has been reduced to cans. Can't even drink them for the bottles anymore. It is a sad day.

:confused:

Cans are revolutionizing the craft beer industry.

Where the heck have you been the last couple years? Fat Tire's been in cans IIRC three years.

20100128craftbeercans1.jpg

5+Beers.jpg

KH--four-pack.jpg

These ain't your daddy's bud any more.

What happend was the minimum order for cans was dropped to a level that made it reasonable for microbreweries to start canning. Now the minimum order is IIRC 150,000 cans when before it used to be substanitally higher.

This is the company that has made it available to the smaller level craft brewer....

WELCOME TO CASK.COM

cask468best%20brew%20banner%20200578.gif

We've been talking about it on here for several years.

There's quite a lot of discussions on canned craft brews on here. Including one I started a couple weeks back when Sierra nevada announced they were going to.

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/li...ks-canning-craft-brews-230690/?highlight=cans

https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f14/craft-beer-can-221600/?highlight=cans

It's awesome. There's a lot of places that don't allow glass, so we're often limited in our beer choices then...not so much now.

Heck they don't even affect the taste of beer like they did in the 70's....even BMC's been using lined cans for maybe 20 years....

So I ask you, WTF is wrong with cans?

i love that cans are more readily available for craft beers - however there are studies that have shown concerns about BPA in the linings of cans (food and beverage) leaking into the food/liquid they contain

i love that cans are more readily available for craft beers - however there are studies that have shown concerns about BPA in the linings of cans (food and beverage) leaking into the food/liquid they contain

Yes but the conclusion on the studies for those was that it's only harmful in large quantities over a long period of time with very acidic items... mostly canned tomatoes.

That being said canned beer rocks. I'm going on vacation to to the river in a few weeks and I'm stoked that I can bring some awesome beer with me. Southern Star Bombshell Blonde? Hells yes.

i don't think there was a conclusion to the studies, Coke is under pressure to further investigate

beer is acidic so it's certainly something to consider

Yeah, I agree with the others. On a local note i think Sunking in Indianapolis was brilliant for selecting a canning system rather than bottling and distributing their beers. Perfect can every single time!

As a craft beer lover, I'm a fan of the move to cans. The beer lasts longer and you can take it many places that bottles cannot go.

As a homebrewer, the more brewers that switch to cans, the fewer bottles are available for us to put our stuff in....

After having crappy tasting, cheap brews (BMC like...) in cans, I sort of made a false dichotomy that all canned beers must be crappy and that somehow bottled beer was always better. Lots of them had a definite "metal can" taste to them.

I've now had some micro and craft brews from cans (E.G. Maui Brewery's Mana Wheat) and they are great! No actual flavor difference compared to bottles from what I could tell.

It sounds like canning will help reduce prices for consumers as well as operating costs for breweries, so I am all for it!

Yeah, I agree with the others. On a local note i think Sunking in Indianapolis was brilliant for selecting a canning system rather than bottling and distributing their beers. Perfect can every single time!

Not to mention this got them in at Victory Field. Only problem is now they have to contend with that goofy Indiana 20,000 barrel law where they pay double taxes if they go over that number :mad:

Cans pour into a glass just as easy as a bottle :) I prefer a glass to a bottle or can any day. But, then again, I'll happily drink Olympia [or insert any BMC/PBR] in a can with a friend :) I prefer getting imports in a can; they are better preserved, in my opinion.

If someone looks hard enough they can find a health risk for anything...

But how does the taste compare? If you had a bottle of Fat Tire and a can of Fat Tire and poured each into a glass, would they taste the same? For some reason I feel the bottle would taste better. But I could be wrong.......

NRS

I hate cans! They are messy to contend with even if you rinse them out they still leak and drip stuff into the recycling bin/bag making it a PITA to contend with and in most cases sticky/slimy and stinky.

Then there is the A-holes that say "save them and cash them in"...YA no @#$& thanks. The same leaky stinking cans leak into the trunk/truck and now have caused stains and smells were there was none before. All for $5...Not even worth the gas to take them to the recycle facility...

The above only gets worse with a "can crusher"...

Can not see inside them...Bees and wasps...ever see someone get stung on the inside of the mouth? I have, not fun. In the summer if I stop watching my canned beverage for more than a second, I pour some out...good habit...IMO. This does not even count the nasty cigarette butt in the 1/2 full can that you got to drink...

Then, I hear about all the "cost savings" and how it will be cheaper for the consumer...a savings of under $1.00 a 24 pack...wow what incredible savings...I may just be able to retire now...

I hear it all the time "cans are better". Then why does Mountain Dew taste so much better from a glass bottle??? If you have never done a side by side there is no comparing the two. I am not saying cans taste bad, just different.

This does not even cover purely snobbish reasons like I do not want to be associated with the BMC crowd. (So this one was a little lame, sue me.)

So, what good are cans to me??? I can go tubing or on a beach with them...I think I would rather take my reusable Miller/Coors Home Draft system and have what I want on tap...

The only single benefit I can see of a can doing better than a bottle is protection against light striking/skunking the beverage. ;) but that is a double edged sword.

I think if we all got over our B/M/C-induced prejudice against cans, we would realize there is no difference in taste. I didn't believe it, then my friend made me do a blind taste test - I couldn't tell the difference, and I have a pretty sensitive palate. All the Michigan microbreweries are either canning now or have plans to in the near future. Bells, Arcadia, Brewery Vivant to name a few. There are a lot of opportunities that were not open to microbreweries that will be with cans - golf courses, boating, sporting events, etc., etc. I read an interview with the owner of Brewery Vivant where he said it took a lot of convincing to get him to go with cans over bottles. Like me, he just had it driven into his mind over the years that "good beer has to come from a bottle". But once he did the testing, he realized it was just a stereotype and that the beer actually tastes the same - and in fact the can keeps the beer fresh longer. I feel for the people who rely on collecting bottles to reuse for their homebrew - I am lucky and have a great LHBS, so I don't have to rely on collecting used bottles.

Then, I hear about all the "cost savings" and how it will be cheaper for the consumer...a savings of under $1.00 a 24 pack...wow what incredible savings...I may just be able to retire now...

This and the "In the can" video made my day and it's not even 6am. Thanks HBT. This puts a little shine on a day in May where I will leave the house with a winter coat.

Edit: Alright, no coat. There was a frost warning last night but it's a whole 43 degrees already. Woot!

Zamial said:
I hate cans! They are messy to contend with even if you rinse them out they still leak and drip stuff into the recycling bin/bag making it a PITA to contend with and in most cases sticky/slimy and stinky.

Then there is the A-holes that say "save them and cash them in"...YA no @#$& thanks. The same leaky stinking cans leak into the trunk/truck and now have caused stains and smells were there was none before. All for $5...Not even worth the gas to take them to the recycle facility...

Can not see inside them...Bees and wasps...ever see someone get stung on the inside of the mouth? I have, not fun. In the summer if I stop watching my canned beverage for more than a second, I pour some out...good habit...IMO. This does not even count the nasty cigarette butt in the 1/2 full can that you got to drink...

I hear it all the time "cans are better". Then why does Mountain Dew taste so much better from a glass bottle??? If you have never done a side by side there is no comparing the two. I am not saying cans taste bad, just different.

This does not even cover purely snobbish reasons like I do not want to be associated with the BMC crowd. (So this one was a little lame, sue me.)

So, what good are cans to me??? I can go tubing or on a beach with them...I think I would rather take my reusable Miller/Coors Home Draft system and have what I want on tap...

The only single benefit I can see of a can doing better than a bottle is protection against light striking/skunking the beverage. ;) but that is a double edged sword.

I don't think he enjoys cans.

Ha Ha Ha...ya....could you tell us how you really feel ;).

I'm a convert now....I think somebody said it best when they pointed out that it's a sterotype....and it's now been proven that cans are superior at protecting the product. To me that's the most important thing...when I'm buying something I want to know that its going to be consistently good every single time...and I think cans do that.

i like that i can shot gun beers from a can. also when i get done i can crunch it on my head, and that makes me look cool and feel manly.

revvy, i didn't bother re-reading the SN article (read it last week)...any mention of 'can conditioning'? i'd assume bottles would still have to be used for that...

and cans don't really bother me...as burninmules said, half acre's daisy cutter is awesome in a can...they only put out their beers in cans due to cost and space issues

That's not comparing apples to apples. Mountain Dew in glass bottles has real sugar in it and not HFCS, which is likely the difference you are perceiving. Try Mountain Dew throwback in a can vs regular Mountain Dew in a can and I'm willing to bet you find the same difference in taste.

I love the fact that more and more microbrews are being sold in cans. That means I won't have to drink ****ty beer on the boat, the beach, or any other place glass is prohibited.

That's not comparing apples to apples. Mountain Dew in glass bottles has real sugar in it and not HFCS, which is likely the difference you are perceiving. Try Mountain Dew throwback in a can vs regular Mountain Dew in a can and I'm willing to bet you find the same difference in taste.

so compairing the throw back in a can to mtn dew in glass should be the same?

I don't know that it's exactly the same, but it would be a much closer comparison than regular canned Mountain Dew vs the bottled stuff.

No...throwback is the old recipe made with sugar. Awhile ago I found actual new Mountain Dew (Not throw back or some ancient bottle) in a glass bottle @ a gas station of all places.

No...throwback is the old recipe made with sugar. Awhile ago I found actual new Mountain Dew (Not throw back or some ancient bottle) in a glass bottle @ a gas station of all places.

If you found Mountain Dew in a glass bottle it game from West Jefferson Dr. Pepper or Mexico and is made with cane sugar, it's not the same stuff you get in a can these days.

the_jerk.jpg

He hates cans!!!!!!!!!

I've been saving bottles for a big brew project I have going on (homebrew as wedding favors) and as such haven't bought canned craft beer in almost a year. Everytime I go to the beer store I look longily at Dale's, Old Chub, G'Knight, Modus Hoperandi, Upslope's Pale Ale and IPA. Some of my favorite local beers are offered only in cans. I can't wait until my bottle collection is sufficient to start buying canned beer again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by terrapinj

Yes but the conclusion on the studies for those was that it's only harmful in large quantities over a long period of time with very acidic items... mostly canned tomatoes.

Aren't there studies concluding that beer in excessive quantities over a long period of time is harmful to you. At least that's how I feel after a long night of drinking canned beer - must be the BPA in the lining :tank:

Canned craft beer FTW!

Back