California common recipe? With Pacman?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Willsellout

Reaction score
Curious to know if anyone had an extract recipe for a Cali common recipe with steeping grains and since Pacman ferments at 60, would it work? Or should i just use the lager yeast?
I'm just kind of anxious to brew with the pacman I suppose.

Dan

Pacman's an ale yeast, so it's not going to be a California Common regardless of fermentation temperature. It'll be different, for sure, and Cali Common is one of those yeasts that really does make a big difference in the end product. Save the Pacman for the next project, IMHO.

the_bird said:
Pacman's an ale yeast, so it's not going to be a California Common regardless of fermentation temperature. It'll be different, for sure, and Cali Common is one of those yeasts that really does make a big difference in the end product. Save the Pacman for the next project, IMHO.

Ok that's what I figured. I will have to search around for some recipes people have used the Pacman for to see what to brew it with. Figure I'll do a couple Rogue clones as well.

Anyway, thanks!

Dan

Dude said:
You can brew ANYTHING with the Pacman yeast. Look at all the Rogue styles--supposedly they use the Pacman for all of them. It is pretty versatile.

Well I was reading up on it and they mention that it ferments best around 60 degrees or so and I have spoken with John the head brewer and they do indeed use the Pacman with everything. So I suppose it is versatile, and the whole point of homebrewing is to experiment.
I was thinking of using the Common style but with the Pacman to come up with something unique, but if the yeast plays a big part in the flavor I'm not so sure. I'm just tired of doing kits, I kind of wanted to do something new.

From what I can gather the recipe's mostly call for around 6-7 lbs of pale extract with some crystal 20l and Munich malt thrown in there. There are even a couple recipes with biscuit malt added with another pound of amber extract. The common hops are the Northern Brewer with some cascade thrown in on some recipes.

Dan

Back