Will Candi Syrup = Cidery taste?????

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mxwrench

Reaction score
I have read some threads on here and have tried to make sense of a few things. I am planning a Witbier and usually use some honey in the brew, this time I bought some ( I know, i can make this at home but just want to see how this turns out) Belgian Candi Syrup (Clear). I have never used any kind of candi sugar crystals or syrup before and just want to make sure that they do not add any kind of cidery flavors. From what i have read and tried to understand is, if it is inverted sugars it will not add these negative flavors, correct?? Any help understanding this would be great.

Has anyone ever used Candi Syrup in a Belgian Witbier? If so how much is normal in a 5 gal batch, 0.5 lb?? 1.0 lb??

CHEERS

You definitely won't get "cidery" flavors with any reasonable sugar addition. That said, I don't see it working well in a witbier. Part of the appeal is the bigish mouthfeel for a small beer, which you'd take away from with sugar additions. That's my $.02, anyway.

thanks for the reply, so even thought it is "clear" syrup it will still impart some overpowering flavors? I was thinking about using .5 lb honey and .5 lb of the clear, so no major amounts. You would still stay away from it?

There's a fair amount of fear that non-invert sugars will add a cidery flavor, but those fears are unfounded unless you're adding very, very significant amounts. I've read varying amounts, but it seems that if you're under 20 percent, you're fine. I did a Belgian-style barley wine with about 20 percent table suger (no acid for inversion), and it was delicious.

The cider flavor is really not an issue as long as the rest of your recipe is sound. If you are making a recipe with 10 lbs of table sugar and bread yeast, then you might have something ciery on your hands, but otherwise you shouldn't have too much of an issue. I put 2 lbs of homemade candi sugar into a BDSA to no adverse effect.

0.5 lb of clear candi sugar isn't going to affect flavor at all, but it will likely reduce the mouthfeel of the same beer if you had used all malt.

The sugar won't overpower the flavors of the wit, it will knock down the FG and dry it out. In doing so, that full chewy mouthfeel will be somewhat diminished if you are in search of a true-to-style witbier. If you could care less and are just in the mood to play, then go for it. You won't mind the results, I promise.

Back