Suggestions wanted to help improve efficiency on my BIAB method!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Naked_Eskimo

Reaction score
Wondering if any folks experienced with BIAB could critique my method and see if there are ways I can up my efficiency.

Here's my method...it's not a strict "pure" BIAB method, but slightly modified. Note: I do 3 gallon batches, hence the small grain bill.

Steps 1. mash 8lbs grain in an 12gallon Igloo cube cooler for 60 mins (grain:water ratio is 1.5qt/lb hence mash volume = 3 gallons). Temp holds pretty steady with maybe ~2 degree falloff over the hour mash.

Step 2. mash out for 15mins by adding 1.5 gallons boiling water (with this limited volume, mash out temp is typically ~163-165 depending on mash temp, so not quite at 168-170 where I would like)

Step 3. Empty entire mash contents (wort+grain) into bottling bucket lined by 5 gallon paint strainer. Lift paint strainer (grain bag) up let wort flow out of grain into bottling bucket. After giving slight squeeze on grain bag, usually collect the desired ~4gallons pre-boil volume (4.5 total - 0.5 grain absorbtion = 4 gallons).

Step 4. Take pre-boil hydro reading to calculate mash efficiency.

Step 5. Wort to pot and boil away.

With this method I am reproducibly hitting 70-72% efficiency, but feel I could do much better. Any suggestions? My thoughts were maybe mashing in the entire 4.5gallon volume and foregoing any mash out. Would this help with efficiency?

Any other suggestions welcome!

My sugestions would be change the 1.5G mash out to a 1.5G sparge.
Swap steps 2 & 3 round, then put grain bag back into the cooler, sparge with 1.5 gallons water & mix, lift grain bag out, transfer wort from cooler to pot.

My sugestions would be change the 1.5G mash out to a 1.5G sparge.
Swap steps 2 & 3 round, then put grain bag back into the cooler, sparge with 1.5 gallons water & mix, lift grain bag out, transfer wort from cooler to pot.

+1 I use a "dunk/steep sparge" for BIAB and it seems to work pretty well

+1 I use a "dunk/steep sparge" for BIAB and it seems to work pretty well

Yeah I use a drain/rinse sparge and got 80% from 4.4 lbs in a 2.6 gallon batch, basically lift the grain bag and let drain, then pour over the sparge water. Don't know if I would want to do that on a 5 gallon batch though ;)

+1, i mash the same way you do but dunk/steep sparge for 10min instead of doing a mashout

Thanks for the replies. Seems everyone is suggesting I skip the mashout and replace it with a sparge or dunk/steep. I'm not sure though if I could do a steep with that amount of grains in just 1.5gal water...the water wouldn't even come up to halfway up the grainbag.

I have tried the sparge before. My method was mash in cooler, dump grain into bottling bucket lined with paint strainer. Pulled strainer out thus separating wort from grain. I then dumped the grain out of the bag back into the mash cooler and sparged with the 1.5gal water. Repeatedthe process of dumping grain and wort into bucket lined with strainer. Collected wort from sparge, added to wort from the mash and all into the pot.

Pretty much hit exact same efficiency.

i tend to mash at 1.5 qt/lb and do a steep-sparge in about the same amount of water. it'll boil down to about the appropriate volume of liquid.

i tend to mash at 1.5 qt/lb and do a steep-sparge in about the same amount of water. it'll boil down to about the appropriate volume of liquid.
Mashing and sparging with same volume of water would give me 6 gallons water....waaaay over my desired pre-boil volume of 4 gallons.

Perhaps I should try a full-volume mash as I've read on other sites (i.e mash with the full 4.5 gallons). Anyone tried this method? Obviously there's no sparge or mash out...but that should be okay due to the extreme water:grain ratio.

Well 70-72 is not that bad effeciency. The grain crush effects it somewhat to so you could try a different supplier (that is if you are getting precrushed grain ;))

Well 70-72 is not that bad effeciency. The grain crush effects it somewhat to so you could try a different supplier (that is if you are getting precrushed grain ;))
I've heard a lot of folks talk about a "double crush" to increase efficiency. Are they literally talking about running the grain through the mill twice?

I get my grains from my LHBS, so I'm using the mill provided by the LHBS and doing the crushing myself. He has a pretty simple mill setup, but I dont think he (the owner) would appreciated me tinkering with it to get a finer crush. If running the grain through the mill twice will up my efficiency, I may give it a bash this weekend!

Mashing and sparging with same volume of water would give me 6 gallons water....waaaay over my desired pre-boil volume of 4 gallons.

Perhaps I should try a full-volume mash as I've read on other sites (i.e mash with the full 4.5 gallons). Anyone tried this method? Obviously there's no sparge or mash out...but that should be okay due to the extreme water:grain ratio.
I have done several full volume BIAB batches, I get 75% eff. Works good for me.

I would reduce the mash thickness to 1.25, and add the surplus as well as the mash out volume to your sparge. When you sparge, get vigorous about it.. Turn the grains loose, stir like a demon, and let it set for at least ten minutes before collecting your second runnings.

I regularly achieve 80%+ efficiency using paint bags and my stovetop.

then mash and sparge at 1.25 qt/lb. don't forget that the grain absorbs a significant amount of water too. plus you want to do a fully rolling boil for an hour or more, you'll get a ton of boiloff. I honestly usually have to top off my brews because in the end i don't have *enough* volume.

I have done several full volume BIAB batches, I get 75% eff. Works good for me.

Ditto, just did my first BIAB and got about the same efficiency :) Oh and it was eeeeaaasy. Spent most of the time changing diapers, feeding babies and watching tv lol.

Wondering if any folks experienced with BIAB could critique my method and see if there are ways I can up my efficiency.

Here's my method...it's not a strict "pure" BIAB method, but slightly modified. Note: I do 3 gallon batches, hence the small grain bill.

Steps 1. mash 8lbs grain in an 12gallon Igloo cube cooler for 60 mins (grain:water ratio is 1.5qt/lb hence mash volume = 3 gallons). Temp holds pretty steady with maybe ~2 degree falloff over the hour mash.

Step 2. mash out for 15mins by adding 1.5 gallons boiling water (with this limited volume, mash out temp is typically ~163-165 depending on mash temp, so not quite at 168-170 where I would like)

Step 3. Empty entire mash contents (wort+grain) into bottling bucket lined by 5 gallon paint strainer. Lift paint strainer (grain bag) up let wort flow out of grain into bottling bucket. After giving slight squeeze on grain bag, usually collect the desired ~4gallons pre-boil volume (4.5 total - 0.5 grain absorbtion = 4 gallons).

Step 4. Take pre-boil hydro reading to calculate mash efficiency.

Step 5. Wort to pot and boil away.

With this method I am reproducibly hitting 70-72% efficiency, but feel I could do much better. Any suggestions? My thoughts were maybe mashing in the entire 4.5gallon volume and foregoing any mash out. Would this help with efficiency?

Any other suggestions welcome!

I suggest instead of mashing out, draw off your first runnings, then add water to mashout temp as a 'sparge/mashout'. I do this and I get 80-86% efficiency every time. My other steps are about the same as yours. One thing, for some reason if I mashout/sparge at 170 it does not work as well as if I mash out/sparge at 166-168.

I would reduce the mash thickness to 1.25, and add the surplus as well as the mash out volume to your sparge. When you sparge, get vigorous about it.. Turn the grains loose, stir like a demon, and let it set for at least ten minutes before collecting your second runnings.

I regularly achieve 80%+ efficiency using paint bags and my stovetop.

+1 !!!
Stir like a demon = +5% efficiency for me. Go nuts, and hold the sparge/mashout for 10 mins. I actually do not reccomend any longer, I have had issues at 20 mins for some reason.

If your mash volume is less than 5 gal, then get a 5 gal cooler, put the paint strainer bag in that and then mash in there. When the mash is over, just pull the bag up and out slowly. Works for me!

I do a full BIAB and hit my target gravity dead on for my last kit from AHS. I bring water to 165 add grain and keep at 155 for 60 min stirring grain occasionally. Raise temp to 170, stir grain, and lift bag to drain (around 75 min total mash then). Then i boil.

I know this isn't the way u are necessarily doing it... just giving u my way and numbers to compare your to...

Last blonde (3#Vienna, 2.25# flaked maize, 3# 6row... f.g. 1.044) i got 75% and it was my first all grain... normal grain crush from AHS

Back