First Brew Success!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LouisianaVince

Reaction score
My first batch ever was an extract American Pale Ale from Listermann's. I bottled it on Nov. 5, so I decided to call this batch Gunpowder Treason Ale (Google it, if you're not a history buff). It's been 18 days in the bottle, and since today was both Thanksgiving and my birthday (I'm 47...woo hoo), I decided to open a bottle and see how I did. All I can say is, if it's this good 18 days in the bottle, I can't even imagine what it's going to be like in another week or two!
This beer tastes a lot like Sierra Nevada Pale Ale. I poured it in a pilsner glass, and it had a thick, creamy, 3 to 4 inch head. This head never got under 1 inch, and there was some nice latticing left on the glass. It was far better than I expected for my first brew, and I'm pretty darned proud of myself. :tank:
Side Note: My brother, beer4breakfast, sent me a GREAT birthday present. I received, yesterday, an extract kit from Austin Home Brewing for a Pete's Wicked Ale clone. He also sent some extras. I now have an auto siphon, some extra bungs, whirlfloc, yeast fuel, a nylon hops bag, two extra air locks, and plenty of bottle caps. He even added the 1% alcohol boost! Thanks, Breaux!!!

Ah, you've been caught in the same trap that I was. The first batch came out great and now you're stoked to keep going. For homebrewers it's not the alchohol that you get addicted to it's the creating that you get hooked on. Hoppy b-day and congrats on your first batch going well.

catnip1970 said:
Ah, you've been caught in the same trap that I was. The first batch came out great and now you're stoked to keep going. For homebrewers it's not the alchohol that you get addicted to it's the creating that you get hooked on. Hoppy b-day and congrats on your first batch going well.

You've got that right. It's almost a mad scientist kind of feeling, even though I'm following directions. I think I want to get a few batches under my belt, then I plan to start experimenting a bit. Who knows, I may come up with the ultimate home brew some day! It's definitely a kick.

Congrats and Happy Birthday.
Can tell by your excitment you've been bit Gooooddd!!!:ban:

That sounds like a great Ale, congrats (I love head), and what a great day to have a Birthday, Happy belateds. ;)

I the short time that i've been brewing. I've had one beer go bad IMO. Everyone loved it and had no clue that i wasn't they way it should have been.

Keep up the good work! It is a great feeling when u let someone try your beer and they always have this. Its home brew, so you made this atitude. But after they try it there hooked too.

Happy brewing!!!

Back