Hobgoblin Clone Brewday

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Have you brewed this one before? If you're using Orfy's recipe it always comes out great. It'll be perfect for when it starts cooling down outside. I just put a keg of it in the kegerator that's been aging since march.:D

Yes, it's Orfy's recipe. I've been reading the thread on it in the recipe page and my mouth was watering. I'm really excited about this one. I hope everything goes well from here on out.

added first wort hops into first runnings and now sparging with a little more than 5 gallons of 170 degree water. Temps read 150, is that too low? I didn't have the thermometer down too far into the wort.

It's all in the fermenter now. My OG was a little low (1.046). My pre-boil gravity was 1.040. Does this sound right? I made temp adjustments to the gravity readings, the wort was aerated well (transfered from one fermenter bucket to another several times -with nice foam head on there). I ended up with 5 gallons

Hey guys, don't know how, but Orfy's re-done hobgoblin thread is nowhere to be found. Anyhow, back to the point. I did my first AG using Orfy's recipe but accidentally added in an extra 1/2 lb of Marris Otter (11 lb instead of 10.5) Not sure what my efficiency was but I followed the rest of his measurement to the 1/10th of an ounce. My concern is my OG ended up at 1.066. Would this be due to the extra grain or do I have some other issue? My girl was "watching" my boil for me and Even managed to let it boil over about 20 oz or so. I was expecting to end up a bit low as a result but this doesn't seem to be the case. Any input?

Back