Coffee Mead Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ruger12pk

Reaction score
Im thinking of trying the recipe below. Also I will add some yeast Energizer along with the Nutrient. I figure on brewing 12 cups of good Folgers smooth instead of the dark roast stuff and simply mixing in *4* pounds of honey for sweetness and then use kv-1116 to give it a kick.

However I was wondering what the acid blend adds to it.

Questions? Ideas? Tips? better recipes? ....LOL

ruger12pk

Ingredients: (for 1 gallon)
· 3 ¼ lb. Honey
· 12 cups Extra Strong Brewed Coffee
· ½ tsp. Acid Blend
· 1 tsp. Nutrient
· Water to make 1 gallon if needed
· 1 pkg. Pasteur Champagne Yeast
Procedure:
Brew coffee. Heat 6 cups of coffee with honey, skim if necessary. Add in nutrient and acid blend. Pour coffee and coffee-sugar mixture into carboy. Add enough water to make one gallon. When cooled, pitch yeast and attach an air lock. You may wish to use a blow-off tube. If you do, after the initial violent fermentation, attach a regular air lock.
Per Cheezer: "The Coffee Mead is good, but you definately need to have a love for coffee to drink it."
Recipe curtesy of "Cheezer"

I didn't add any acid to the coffee mead I made and I liked it fine the way it was. Also, you might consider cold steeping the coffee for a few hours to tone down the bitterness.

+1 on the cold steep!!
Brewing the coffee will release tanic acid.
Which could leave you with a very bitter taste.
If you can buy a bit of "fresh" coffee and grind it yourself, you should get some better results.

-Jason

Im thinking cold steeping mean simply to make it with cold water at first and let it set for a few hours? Tap water cold or place the carafe in the fridge?

Back