Jamil's Weizenbock or other Weizenbock?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

snailsongs

Reaction score
I have really been enjoying my dark wheat's lately, and having never actually had one, I can almost imagine the glory of a Weizenbock. Problem is, I'm having trouble locating a recipe I feel certain will be both delicious and true to style. Has anyone here brewed Jamil's version from Brewing Classic Styles? Is there a particular Weizenbock recipe you would recommend otherwise? Help me locate a good one. AG, preferred. thanks.

Haven't had a weizenbock (can't find one around here), but Jamil's recipes are always a good bet. I have tried (and modified) many of his and they are always good.

Try it and report back!

+1 on Jamil's recipes, I haven't had one I didn't like. I brewed one based on information from Ray Daniels book that was OK but Jamil's recipe would be darker, maltier and likely tastier.

GT

I'd start with JZ, he knows his stuff and how he's described his brew sounds spot-on. I've had a few that were horribly cloyingly sweet. Never brewed one of my own.

I'd start with JZ, he knows his stuff and how he's described his brew sounds spot-on. I've had a few that were horribly cloyingly sweet. Never brewed one of my own.

I don't want cloyingly sweet, nope. I want rich and spicy. He describes in BCS how it's his favorite warming halloween beer. That alone makes me want one (I can almost taste it). I guess I'll go with his recipe.....I just don't have a big enough kettle to do the 90 minute boil for all that Pilsner malt....what to do?

After trying several cracks at a recipe myself and never being happy with the results, I went with JZ's recipe verbatim.

One of the best damn WB's I've had.

Just use good yeast. I suggest the Weihenstephaner strain from Wyeast.

Thanks, Evan. That's exactly what I wanted to know. The Weihenstephaner is the only hefe-type yeast I have in house, so that's good.

As for the 90-minute boil for the Pils malt. I suppose I could get an equivalent Liquid Pils extract just for that portion of the recipe......

I have brewed Jamil's weizenbock recipe as well and it came out great. Highly recommend it.

I have this batch in the keg aging, and I already love it:

4.00lbs White Wheat
2.00lbs Cara Munich II
0.50lbs Caramel Wheat
0.50lbs Chocolate Wheat
1.00lbs Rahr 2-row
0.50lbs Flaked Wheat

2.00lbs Wheat DME
1.50lbs Dark DME
1.00lbs Corn Sugar

Double Step Mash, 150*F for 30min, 154*F for 30min
Batch sparge twice, half of the water each

0.75oz Hallertau Hersbruck 8.7% @ 60min

Safbrew WB-06, 2pkgs, rehydrated
Aerated the mash

Added DME and sugar @ knockout

SG @ sparge (mash & sparge) 1.037 @ 80*F
OG = 1.072 @ 78*F
FG = 1.012 @ 66*F
ABV = 7.86%

It is very dark, very rich, with slight undertones of coffee and chocolate.

:rockin:

So I brewed Jamil's recipe May 1st, bottled several weeks later and it's been sitting in my basement. I had cracked one or two shortly after bottling just because curiosity got the better of me, and as would be expected they weren't that great so young.....I successfully forgot about them till last night, and decided to crack one.....

........whoo hoo that's a great beer! It turned out exactly the way I hoped it would, but even better. It's almost dopplebock strong, warming and spicy but not too sweet. I can't wait until fall when I can start drinking these regularly. I had dumped this directly onto a yeast cake from a roggenbier so a slight "rye" note might be the cherry on top of this one, but damn! it really turned out good. +1 for Jamil's WB......

Can I ask you a quick question about lagering this. At what time in fermenation did you switch to lagering. I'm at about 14 days and have hit all my numbers should I go ahead and start lagering?

Rumour has it that Wyeast #3638 IS actually the Schneider yeast, although you can't go wrong with the Weiheinstephaner strain. Both yeasts require tons of headspace in the fermenter, as they are true top-cropping strains.

Can I ask you a quick question about lagering this. At what time in fermenation did you switch to lagering. I'm at about 14 days and have hit all my numbers should I go ahead and start lagering?
What yeast did you use? A Weizenbock is typically not a lager. Either way I would give it at least 3 weeks in primary.

Latest posts

Back