Beersmith Hops Alpha/Beta

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

neovox

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
A quick question about alpha & beta values for hops in Beersmith. Beersmith has default values for certain types of hops. For instance, the Ahtanum entry has an alpha of 6% and beta of 5.25%. I recently purchased some Ahtanum from my LHBS. Theirs was 4.5% alpha. So no problem, I can adjust that in Beersmith, but the beta value is still unknown to me. Is there a standard calculation for figuring out the beta value based on the alpha or is that information I can only get from the supplier?

A quick question about alpha & beta values for hops in Beersmith. Beersmith has default values for certain types of hops. For instance, the Ahtanum entry has an alpha of 6% and beta of 5.25%. I recently purchased some Ahtanum from my LHBS. Theirs was 4.5% alpha. So no problem, I can adjust that in Beersmith, but the beta value is still unknown to me. Is there a standard calculation for figuring out the beta value based on the alpha or is that information I can only get from the supplier?

Can't calculate beta from alpha a priori. You need to go to the supplier's web site and find the spec sheet for the hop. From Yakima Chief's website, I see that Ahtanum has an alpha/beta ratio of about 1.1, meaning your hops should be about 4.5/1.1 = 4.1% beta acid...although, you can't be exactly sure.

http://www.yakimachief.com/hopvarieties/ahtanum.html

Back