please elaborate on Brewing wort instructions for this extra pale ale

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

planenut

Reaction score
I plan on getting this kit for my first brew along with a brewing kit from Northern and using a glass carboy. I just want to make sure I'm adding the ingredients in the correct order and for the right time. I think I've got a handle on the cleaning/sanitizing/sterilizing.

This is the Extra Pale Ale:
Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit -- Kit Inventory Sheet

Extra Pale Ale Extract Kit

O.G: 1045 / Ready: 6 weeks

Kit Inventory

Specialty Grains
* 1 lbs. Dingemans Caramel Pils
Fermentables
* 6 lbs. Gold Malt Syrup
Boil Additions
* 2 oz. Cascade (60 min)
* 1 oz. Cascade (1 min)
If you choose dry yeast
* Safale US-05. Optimum temperature: 59-75��F.
If you choose liquid yeast
* Wyeast #1056 American Ale Yeast. Optimum temperature: 60-72��F.

1. Activate yeast and set aside.
2. Put two gallons of boiled water in carboy (after it cools).
3. Then I will bring 3 gallons of water to 170 degrees and add the specialty grain for 15 minutes to steep. (after crushing in a ziplock and then putting them in the muslim bag. then remove.
4. Bring to a boil, turn off heat and add the liquid malt extract. Stirring well until completely mixed.
5. Then add the 2 oz of cascade.
6. Return to boil for 60 minutes. Watch for a boil over.
7. In the last minute add the other 1 oz of cascade.
8. give a bath in sink to cool off to 80 degrees or so.
9. Add Yeast to Fermenter.
10. Add the Wort to the Fermenter. Let it pour fast to aerate.
11. Add Blow off and leave alone.

I was going to search but as long as I've posted this... Would liquid or dry yeast be better?

Thanks

I'd steep your specialty grains at around 150-155. Keep it steady at that temp for 20 - 30 min and then take the grain bag out and then bring to a boil.

When I use dry yeast I only activate it when I start to cool my wort. This takes about 15-20 min and gives it enough time to rehydate. The safale 05 is perfectly fine for a pale ale.

For this type of beer, i.e. not a speciality beer, the clean finish of the Safale05 is perfect. And for a first batch, the dry is great. In fact the dry is great for your 100th batch as well. Ditto on the steeping grains. 170 is too high. Steep in the 150-160 range and dont squeeze your bag despite the temptation. Just let it drip a little, then toss it.

I would change around # 9 and #10. Add the wort to the fermenter, splashing lots to aerate. (Do that with the cooled boiled water, too, to put back oxygen.) Then, shake the fermenter up with the water and cooled wort. Stir it, too, using a sanitized dowel or long spoon that can fit in the carboy. Then, add the yeast. Then attach airlock (or blow off) and leave it be. You won't need a blow off tube, unless you are using a small carboy. If you're using a 6.5 gallon carboy, then an airlock is fine.

You can use liquid or dry yeast, but usually dry yeast is a little faster to take off and is easier to use for your first batch. If you use liquid yeast, a starter is recommended so that you have a decreased lag time in fermentation.

The only thing I would recommend is to pour your cooled wort into the carboy before pitching the yeast, and making sure that your wort is properly mixed/aerated. You can agitate the wort by shaking the carboy back and forth. Also, take a hydrometer reading after your wort is mixed. Then pitch yeast.

Lastly, 1056 is a good choice, though safale us-05 has always produced great results for me.

Good luck!

Great and FAST replies.
Thanks so much.
I'm feeling better about this adventure already..

I don't know what the wort is going to look like? Do I need a strainer in the funnel and pour or does everything go in the carboy at this point?
Or siphon and leave some in the bottom of the brew kettle?

If you are using hop pellets, I would recommend using a hop bag or a strainer. If using whole hops, strain. Or if you are feeling adventurous, you can always whirlpool the wort and then siphon. Though don't worry if you cant get all the hop gunk out of the wort. It wont hurt your beer.

Back