Dry Hopping Question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Ale to the Chief

Reaction score
I just dry hopped my beer for the first time and was wondering how "hoppy" i should expect it to be. The beer was an english bitter kit from NB, and after tasting the hydrometer sample I didn't think it had quite the amount of hoppiness I was looking for so I decided to throw some hops into the fermenter. I used .5 oz of Williametter and .5 oz of EKG. Do you think that is too much? Am I looking at IPA type of hoppiness now?

Dry hopping will get you aroma but not bitterness. The hops need to be boiled for bitterness. Early in boil=bittering, later in boil=aroma; post-boil=aroma too.

Personally I love 'em both!

No, EKG and Willamette are pretty "mild" hops so you should have a mild hops aroma and nose. Taste it every day until you think it's enough, and then rack. 3-5 days might be enough for you.

Those are both good choices for an English Bitter. I probably would have done the Willamette for a week, then the EKG if it needed more.

Back