So much for the bung and air lock

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

djbradle

Reaction score
Tried to replace the blowoff hose to insert a bung and airlock to free the hose for my my next brew but the stupid starsan is too slippery for the bung to stay in place. Tin foil I guess?

if its a glass vessel I usually just put a torch to it to dry off any liquid.

Be advised that glass rapidly changing temperature likes to shatter. And water is an EXCELLENT conductor or heat.

I tape it down, when the starsan dries it's cemented in place. Takes half a day or so.

It is better that it slips out than what I had happen recently. I was having trouble getting it to stay in place because of the slippery star san. I pushed a little too hard and the stopper ended up in the carboy. DOH.

Luckily I had a spare.

I use the tape-it-in-place method as well and it seems to work fine. Just yesterday, though, I transferred two beers to the secondary carboys. I tried a little different method and let the bungs sanitize for a while then, set them on a paper towel, bottom side up, to dry for a bit. They locked right in place.

Back