My first attempt at cider

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

okemasis

Reaction score
Hi folks, just wanted to post the results of my first cider attempt, hoping for some feedback. I used all apples from my backyard tree (not crabapples), but next year I plan to get some varieties in there to increase flavour and yield.
For bottling, I added sugar to some (tbsp. per pint), more sugar to others, and vanilla and honey to a few. I then pasteurized and stored in my dark cool basement. I cold crashed one bottle just to try and after a day, it already tastes pretty good. I am satisfied so far!

I do have a question about alcohol content, as I screwed up my initial SG reading, so am unsure of it. The final SG is 1.00 and the cider is quite dry - almost more like wine. It seems very strong as far as alcohol. Dry wine was not what I was going for, but it tastes good nonetheless.
I racked to Secondary after a week in primary, then racked to a new secondary after two weeks. There it sat for 2 1/2 months. Can I cut back on the dry wine taste, by decreasing my time in secondary next go around? Maybe that will go away after some time in the bottle?

Any other thoughts are appreciated!

-Ian

PICT1762.jpg

Back