Initial kegging setup that can be expanded?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

boley

Reaction score
I need some advice about kegging gear to start with; especially in regards to a starting point that can be expanded down the road. I have read most of the FAQs on here and browsed around KegConnection quite a bit.

My initial goal is to simply have a keg or two that will be kept in a spare fridge and dispensed via party taps. Simple enough I suppose. However, as soon as I can come across a cheap freezer I plan to build a keezer for the basement. My ultimate goal is to have a 4 tap setup in the basement. 3 taps for beer, 1 for soda.

Based upon my long term goal I assume I will need (an) additional regulator(s). And this is the point where I get confused. To get multiple dispensing PSIs, does one somehow add regulators to the manifold? Or must the CO2 be split to seperate manifolds somehow?

Short version: I want to start with gear that can handle 2 kegs and eventually expand to 4 kegs, probably with 2 different pressures.

Thanks

I would opt for a dual body regulator, and get two manifolds. With three taps being for beer and one for soda, you could opt for just a three, or four, port manifold. You can always add another manifold, if you decide you want to add a second soda tap, or change the configuration up.

Personally, I have a dual body regulator, a two and a three port manifold (the two port is feeding my porter keg, the three is for my ales), and all the associated lines, swivel nuts, etc. I would advise going with the oetiker clamps for all the hose to swivel nuts (or barb) connections (get the crimping tool too). MUCH better connection than the worm clamps. Basically, you get a full 360 degree clamp on the tubing as opposed to having gaps in the clamping. I started with the worm clamps, but had to go too tight in order to get the gas lines to not leak. Very easy to get a leak free connection with the oetiker clamps. Plus, they're pretty damned cheap. I find it's also pretty easy to remove them simply using a pair of tin snips and twisting as you cut.

For sizing your system, if you have room in the spare fridge, fit as many kegs as you can in there. I would also look up maintenance manuals/drawings to find out where the coolant lines are run. If the sides are clear of them, you can drill holes there, install bulkheads (for the gas lines) and easily keep your CO2 tank outside the fridge. That's more room for beer kegs. :rockin: It's what I'm doing with my 10 cubic foot fridge (bought it brand new just for beer and hops storage).

I also started with the party/picnic taps but quickly tired of them. Between the foaming, drips, and other issues, I had enough and installed faucets in the fridge door (three so far). I have the drip tray held in position with three L brackets that are secured to the fridge door with rare earth magnets. Works great.

I would advise not going cheap on the important things. Like the regulator and manifolds. Keg Connection has all of theirs with threaded fittings, so you use swivel nuts to connect to them. IMO, that's the only way to go. It means you can easily change the lines when you want/need to. I have been using their red gas line too.

You can also call Keg Connection and get advise from them there. They're very nice people and are more than willing to help you out. At least they have been to me. :D

4884-fridge-outside-taps-1.jpg

5220-50-cal-tap-handles.jpg

4716-manifold-installed.jpg

I need some advice about kegging gear to start with; especially in regards to a starting point that can be expanded down the road. I have read most of the FAQs on here and browsed around KegConnection quite a bit.

My initial goal is to simply have a keg or two that will be kept in a spare fridge and dispensed via party taps. Simple enough I suppose. However, as soon as I can come across a cheap freezer I plan to build a keezer for the basement. My ultimate goal is to have a 4 tap setup in the basement. 3 taps for beer, 1 for soda.

Based upon my long term goal I assume I will need (an) additional regulator(s). And this is the point where I get confused. To get multiple dispensing PSIs, does one somehow add regulators to the manifold? Or must the CO2 be split to seperate manifolds somehow?

Short version: I want to start with gear that can handle 2 kegs and eventually expand to 4 kegs, probably with 2 different pressures.

Thanks

Your goal of starting small and expanding down the line is a realistic and easy goal to reach.

You only need two regulators if you want two different pressures. This isn't necessarily a requirement. To serve four kegs, you simply need one regulator with a four way manifold or a series of splitters (I would recommend the manifold- less things to leak from). If you want to have beers carbonated at different pressures, then you need another regulator. Even then, the way you connect your kegs might need to change. For instance, if you have kegs A B and C at 10 PSI and want to have keg D at 15 PSI, you will need to have three kegs hooked to the downstream secondary regulator (your higher pressure will always be at the primary regulator and the secondary regulator will always dispense the lesser of the two pressures) and one to the primary regulator. If you wanted kegs A B & C at 15 PSI and D at 10, you would need to have either a different 3 port manifold hooked to the primary regulator or switch the manifold from the previous scenario to the primary regulator.

Also to note, different pressures will serve at different rates. You may see more foam for the higher PSI kegs, unless you also have more restrictive tubing that you also swap. This isn't necessarily a problem, just that some beers will either pour slow with the others pouring normal or some will pour normal while others pour foamier than normal.

What I am getting at is that unless you have your heart set on having different pressures in your kegs, the second regulator only adds complexity, cost and marginal benefit (at least in my experience with my secondary regulator).

What it comes to is yes, you can easily start with two kegs and picnic taps, all hooked up to your CO2 primary regulator and a 2 way splitter in your fridge. When funds allow, you can get a freezer or refrigerator, paint it or add a collar or whathaveyou (I got mine for $100 and modded it), and swap all your kegging gear right in. Later, switching from picnic taps is a piece of cake. Adding a 3 or 4 way manifold is easy too when funds allow. Getting two more kegs? Simple, just drill two more holes, get the tubing, and install more faucets. Kegging is great in that you can really pay as you go for upgrades. Good luck!

Back