Brew Belt and basement fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Thaumaturgist

Reaction score
OK,

Another quick question. I started my first batch last night (Honey Amber Ale). I put the brew in my basement off the floor. This morning it is sitting at 62F. I have a brew belt, but the brew belt says that it keeps it at 75-80F. That sounds a bit warm to me, but 62F sounds a bit cold. By the way, I used a wyeast smack pack for yeast.

Thanks in advance for any input.

Thau

It should ferment at 62 although just slightly higher at 68 seems to promote an active ferment. You might consider setting a timer on the brew belt so that it is not on all the time but only enough to keep the beer at the desired temp. 75-80 is to high

Blender said:
It should ferment at 62 although just slightly higher at 68 seems to promote an active ferment. You might consider setting a timer on the brew belt so that it is not on all the time but only enough to keep the beer at the desired temp. 75-80 is to high

Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I already had a timer for the Christmas lights, so I just used that. Set it to be on for one hour, then off for one hour. Seems to be holding about 67 degrees now.

I took my brew bet, put it around a plastic bucket. I took my glass carboy and put it inside the bucket, the air between the sidewalls of the bucket and carboy kept the temp slightly cooler than the 75-80 degree. Doing this it maintained a 70-71 degree temp.

Thaumaturgist said:
Thanks for the suggestion. Don't know why I didn't think of it. I already had a timer for the Christmas lights, so I just used that. Set it to be on for one hour, then off for one hour. Seems to be holding about 67 degrees now.
67 is pretty near perfect.

Back