When growing, are hops fragrant?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FensterBos

Reaction score
I enjoy growing my own herbs and veggies; so naturally I would want to grow my own hops to use in my own beer and/or to show off to my friends.
The only thing stopping me from ordering crowns this week is any fragrance that might upset neighbors. If I plant one or two crowns will my neighbors get a whiff of IPA/Fuggle every few minutes or is the aroma very minimal?

If you get right into them you can smell them, but not just standing near. Until the yellow stuff is disturbed, they seem to hold onto the aroma pretty good.

Cool. The unfortunate part of my house is that the only places where we get good light in the Spring and Summer is at the front of the house or directly in the middle of the backyard. And I like the middle of my backyard for activities; playing horseshoes over tomato plants and hops is risky.
Thanks!

They can be a bit delicate. My wife pulled them off of the trellis I had to "make them look better". They broke and died off. Fortunately for me, and likely for your horseshoe games, they grow back - I still got piles of hops in year 2.

B

Back