Notingham=sulphur smell

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Photopilot

Reaction score
I brewed the apple Graff on Sunday. I used nottingham yeast for the first time. It started off fairly slow barely bubbling the next morning. Which is strange as it looked like it was krausening. I put it in a warmer room and it picked up a little bit. On day two it was finally bubbling like I would expect but it smelled like sulphur. I have never smelled anything like it. Okay I have but not from something I intended to drink.

A search shows that this is common with apple products and Montrachet yeast. How about Nottingham, is this normal? Or is it an apple product issue? Is two days to strong fermenting normal?

I have heard good things about this yeast but I do not know if I can continue using it if it makes my house smell like this.

i've had lots of good experiences with nottingham yeast with no sulpher smell. you might just want to age it out. ciders usually should age for like 6 months+

I have used nottys on my amber ale, on a blonde ale, and on apple ciders. One cider is with a nottys and the other with a wlp mead yeast. Never had an ale smell of sulphur but both my ciders have smelled of slight sulphur. I assumed it was an apple issue since the smell was produced from two different yeasts.

Hope that helps.:)

-Los

Thanks Guys,
My cider quit farting after one day. It is still in high Krausen as of last night with no sulfur smell.

Latest posts

Back