No problem just a question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

springfieldxd

Reaction score
I have a kolsch in the secondary fermenter right now.

The yeast was pitched on sat 1/23 it is a partial mash kit. My OG was 1.042. I oxygenated the cooled wort and fermintation started rapidly the next morning and went strong for 4 days then seemed to have slowed way down.
I waited until sun 1/31 and took a reading it was right at my target 1.006 and my estimated abv is 4.7%. I racked to a 2nd for clearing and am wondering if I should cold crash since I will be kegging and most likely force carbonating.

Cold crash if you are looking for a clear end product. If you don't care about clarity, just keg it, carb it, drink it

There's lots of chatter if you search around this site on that. It seems like many of us lean towards just leaving your beer in primary for 3-4 weeks then bottling or kegging unless you are adding fruit, oak or need to age the beer for a long time such as for a barley wine or other higher gravity beer.
It is a personal preference that you will need to come up with. You will find that some folks call a secondary a "clearing vessel" or something similar. With a Kolsh, you probably want a clear end product so a secondary is likely a good idea, but not mandatory. Totally up to you. I have not found a reason to 2ndry other than those listed above.

Back