36 days start to finish- enough time?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kaj030201

Reaction score
So I'm trying to enter an abbey dubbel into a competition on February 15. I planned to brew tomorrow Jan 9, which leaves 36 days from start to finish. Is this enough time? Maybe 10 days primary, 14 days secondary then 12 days in the bottle. Would this schedule work? Any suggestions? Og will be about 1.075.

That's a pretty big beer to only have 12 days in the bottle. You can probably have the beer done and in the bottle and at least partially carbonated, but it's not going to be at it's best by a long shot, I think.

Yeah if it were a pale ale or something I'd say 36 days is doable. For a dubbel...well I've done it with a tripel once and it turned out OK, but generally they need more time.

I am thinking it won't work. Maybe if I cut out the 3 lbs LME I could make it a single.

So this is a tweaked version of the dubbel into an "abbey single". I cant find too many specs on this style of beer, so does anyone know if this would fit the guidelines? The color will be about 16 SRM- too dark? About 19 IBU's.

7 lbs. Belgian Pils
.5 lbs. Crystal Malt 90°L
.5 lbs. Golden Naked Oats
.5 lbs. Belgian Munich
.5 lbs. Belgian Aromatic
.2 lbs. Candi Sugar Dark
.25 lbs. Maple Syrup
1 oz. Tettnanger (Pellets, 2.4 %AA) boiled 70 min.
1 oz. Hersbrucker (Pellets, 4.00 %AA) boiled 15 min.

Also, will the 36 days ne enough for this low ABV beer (5%)

If you have kegs then I'd do 10 days in the primary then rack to the keg (secondary) and force carb a couple days before the competition and bottle.

Back