best way to bring a Corny with you?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

IXVolt

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I have a small pool party tonight and everyone is hoping I bring a keg with me. Only thing I am wondering is... how.

What have other people done?

I don't really want to convert another of SWMBO's coolers for an inline chiller, the last one I kidnapped didn't go over so well and the absence was noticed.

I am thinking of possibly getting a trash can or something about that size perhaps a bit smaller and packing ice around the keg?

Anyone have other ideas, or pics of what they do?

Also will there be any ill-effects of sloshing the beer around in the keg while in transit?

Easiest. Drop it in a homer bucket and fill it with ice. Cobra tap.
Sloshing will rouse up yeast and so on, so give it time to settle if you can.

You will stir up the sediment . Just get a small rubbermade tote pack it with ice put a towel over it.

Sediment is gone, drank that weeks ago... :tank:

For the rubbermade tote, the keg would be on it's side correct? I'm also looking for a way to keep the keg cold while there. not sure if there's fridge space available.

I like the homer bucket idea. I think most of the beer will be about that height in the keg. I have been using Cobra taps on the kegs already, so that's easy.

How long do you think the beer needs to sit to settle?

if you need some thing quick and fast and cheep. just get a round tall kichen trash can
drop the keg inand fill with ice.bungey the co2 tank to the can. so long as the people are total savages that will work just fine for now.

Sediment is gone, drank that weeks ago... :tank:

For the rubbermade tote, the keg would be on it's side correct? I'm also looking for a way to keep the keg cold while there. not sure if there's fridge space available.

Actually when you pull the first couple of pints just the sediment around the tube comes out . I get some just moving the keg around in the kegerator.Now if its sloshing around in the car you will have it mixed with the beer again. When I transport beer I rack from the keg that is in the kegerator to a new keg this way there is no sediment. Just release pressure hook the out post on the full keg to the out on the empty apply say 4 psi and move the beer by opening the pressure release on the empty. I also purge the new keg with CO2 prior to this no 02 touches the beer

With the rubbermade I was suggesting you put it that when you get there with ice sorta a cheap cooler. but like olllllo said a bucket will work and will most likely better

as the people are total savages

HAHA,

so true.

Peppi_drinking_beer.jpg

I've never had any sediment come out except for when the first few pints are taken. I've also never had to move the kegs around. So this will be a new exbeerience!

I think I'll try the homer route, and put them in the back of my truck and just drive slow. I'm only going about 5 miles.

oh by the way if you have the keg in a tall kitchen trash can, and just put a little extra gas on it or a cobra tap you can float the keg right in the pool , but you have to bungy the keg down so it does not float out of the ice water and tip over the trash can in to the pool. that would not hurt anything but you would lose your ice.

oh by the way if you have the keg in a tall kitchen trash can, and just put a little extra gas on it or a cobra tap you can float the keg right in the pool , but you have to bungy the keg down so it does not float out of the ice water and tip over the trash can in to the pool. that would not hurt anything but you would lose your ice.

Haha! No wonder swmbo doesn't let me have a pool...yet

That would be fun. A real floating bar.

I just use a primary bucket. Place a small towel on the bottom so the black rubber doesn't screw up the bottom. Place keg in bucket, ice all around, add water, add more ice, then more water. Hook up tap, serve...;)

Thanks for the input everyone. I used a 10 gallon trash can and filled it with ice. I didn't want to use my primary bucket, just didn't want my grimy corny in there.

It worked great, and everyone loved the beer!

I have to raise a pint to you olllllo, their was definite sediment going on after I transfered the keg. I let it settle for an hour or so, and after taking a pint or two, it was all clear again. Looked almost like hops were coming out of the tap.

If you use a 10g round cooler for a mash tun it would insulate better than a bucket, but either would be fine for a party.

I use my 5 gallon Orange Home Depot Water cooler and throw some ice into it. The corny fits pretty tightly in that with just enough room for ice cubes. As someone says, just the bottom needs to be cold. The handles on the water cooler are good for carrying.

Back