Now there's some gravity for you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mrbowenz

Reaction score
I did a historic recipe for Old Ale today ( circa 1820 ) , last night I made 12 gallons of Essentia Bina, which is a recipe for basic molasses, over a fire , at the end of the 2 hour boil, I set the kettle on fire for about 3 minutes, it adds a Treacle like smoky flavor. 26 lbs of beat sugar, some lime juice and traditional molasses complete the ingredients. I then added this to a recipe of 2 row , roasted malt, some amber malt and a small amount of crystal . The OG is 1.88, but I thought I would just check the Bina for gravity....ha ha ha, it's well over 2.00, I can only guess it's potential , because of it's adjunct nature, I can only use volume and weight . I made just under 400 gallons of this old ale today, should be ready in a few weeks.

P1000343.jpg

P1000344.jpg

Chris Bowenz - Mr. 'Go Big or Go Home' himself. :rockin:

Love it !.....

Sorry ( I left out the details ) , I brewed this one on a 17 bbl system this AM, it's for a kick off to a historic brewing exhibit I am doing in my town ( Bethlehem, PA) , this hydrometer reading was not wort, but an adjunct , loaded with fermentables... I just thought it was cool to see the meter sticking all the way out to the bulb .....The yeast is 1056 , my house bland ...I mean blend ...:ban:

Holy double WTF!!! Insane gravity...what is the target final gravity? And 400 gallons??? Unbelievable! There needs to be more pics of this for sure...

I thought I would just check the Bina for gravity....ha ha ha, it's well over 2.00, I can only guess it's potential , because of it's adjunct nature, I can only use volume and weight .
Dilute a sample with an equal volume of water, check the gravity and then double it.

Love it !.....

Sorry ( I left out the details ) , I brewed this one on a 17 bbl system this AM, it's for a kick off to a historic brewing exhibit I am doing in my town ( Bethlehem, PA) , this hydrometer reading was not wort, but an adjunct , loaded with fermentables... I just thought it was cool to see the meter sticking all the way out to the bulb .....The yeast is 1056 , my house bland ...I mean blend ...:ban:

Ahh, okay, that makes more sense then. After rereading your initial post I understatnd now. I thought the ENTIRE batch was 1.88.

Back