Blowoff tube for a bucket

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

beerbelay

Reaction score
I always see blowoff tubes on glass carboys but never on the buckets. I shoved my 3/8" tubing (or is it 1/2") in the rubber bung on the top for my last brew. It was my first brew using a stepped up starter and I'm glad I did it. Are there any other ways to get a larger tube to avoid clogging or any other theories out there. Thanks

Look at this picture and you'll see a blowoff tube on a bucket.
http://i593.photobucket.com/albums/tt19/jescholler/amber_and_gold.jpg

I don't see any reason not to do it. The bucket in the picture is a 6.5 gallon bucket. My 1st batch was a recipe kit, so I started out with 5 gallons volume and didn't have any krausen in the tube. My last two batches I developed on my own, so they were 5.5 gallons. I also used a starter, so I I think those two factors led to having some krausen in the tube.

I think the reason why you don't see them too often on buckets is because the 6.5 gallon buckets are pretty common and if you do a 5 gallon batch, there a lot of headroom. That would be OK for most beers. With a carboy (usually 6 gallons), the smaller amount of headroom makes the krausen more likely to reach the top. Also, I think it's easier for the krausen to climb the walls of the carboy with the taper at the top.

Either way, I think a blowoff tube is a must for primary fermentation. Once it's in the secondary (if you use one), the fermentation is less intense, and the krausen is mostly absent. Then the airlock is the way I prefer to go.

1/2 inch ID tubing over the center tube of a 3 piece airlock. Don't forget to cut the cross bit off the bottom of the airlock.

100_5063.jpg

I just stick the tubing in the grommet a little bit. After it calms down in a couple days I put an airlock in it.

I forgot to add that I removed my grommet so that I could fit a larger diameter tube in there. It's a nice tight fit and it's actually being put to the test right now. I'll report back if there's an explosion!

Actually you just haven't seen it since you are new here...My airlock blowoff tube pics have been floating around here for a over a year...

A lot of people use it. The trick is to cut off the criss cross on the bottom of the airlocks....

Ailockbo1.jpg

Airlockbo2.jpg

A lot of people use it. The trick is to cut off the criss cross on the bottom of the airlocks....

OMG, yes, if your airlocks have the litle cross hair of plastic, cut the end off or you'll end up with an airlock missle at about 3am. Trust me. (note, it's not always 3am.. usually some time when you are asleep though.)

I think mine survived the clog test without clogging. I woke up to this, however I did crack the lid from the afternoon til the next day, just in case. It foamed out the top all day and night. 5gal batch btw.

blowoff1.jpg

blowoff2.jpg

I think mine survived the clog test without clogging. I woke up to this, however I did crack the lid from the afternoon til the next day, just in case. It foamed out the top all day and night. 5gal batch btw.

My gosh ODaniel. Can you give us some details on the recipe. That's quite the blowoff. Good work!

My gosh ODaniel. Can you give us some details on the recipe. That's quite the blowoff. Good work!

Haha. Here are 2 videos of it: In the second video I cracked the lid just in case, and it was still doing that when I got home from work late that night.
[youtube]NXhp_bkO5nQ[/youtube]
[youtube]RV9WhZ-vnNY[/youtube]

I rehydrated 4 packets of Nottingham yeast and threw that slurry in there. I'm guessing they all had a massive crazy party. Here's the recipe though. When I made the recipe I made it for 75% efficiency, not thinking that lower efficiency would mean more IBUs. I ended up with 60% efficiency so that's why the IBUs are so high.

Code:
Recipe Specifications
--------------------------
Batch Size: 5.00 gal      
Boil Size: 6.84 gal
Estimated OG: 1.091 SG
Estimated Color: 59.1 SRM
Estimated IBU: 105.0 IBU
Brewhouse Efficiency: 60.00 %
Boil Time: 90 Minutes

Ingredients:
------------
Amount        Item                                      Type         % or IBU      
14.00 lb      Pale Malt (2 Row) UK (3.0 SRM)            Grain        63.64 %       
3.00 lb       Barley, Flaked (1.7 SRM)                  Grain        13.64 %       
1.00 lb       Caramel/Crystal Malt - 20L (20.0 SRM)     Grain        4.55 %        
1.00 lb       Chocolate Malt (450.0 SRM)                Grain        4.55 %        
1.00 lb       Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)                    Grain        4.55 %        
1.00 lb       Roasted Barley (300.0 SRM)                Grain        4.55 %        
0.50 lb       Black (Patent) Malt (500.0 SRM)           Grain        2.27 %        
0.50 lb       Wheat, Flaked (1.6 SRM)                   Grain        2.27 %        
2.00 oz       Challenger [7.50 %]  (60 min)             Hops         41.9 IBU      
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (60 min)                Hops         12.6 IBU      
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (40 min)                Hops         11.0 IBU      
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (30 min)    Hops         10.7 IBU      
1.00 oz       Fuggles [4.50 %]  (20 min)                Hops         7.6 IBU       
1.00 oz       Goldings, East Kent [5.00 %]  (20 min)    Hops         8.5 IBU       
1.00 oz       Challenger [7.50 %]  (20 min)             Hops         12.7 IBU      
4 Pkgs        Nottingham Yeast (Lallemand #-)           Yeast-Ale                  

Mash Schedule: My Mash
Total Grain Weight: 22.00 lb
----------------------------
My Mash
Step Time     Name               Description                         Step Temp     
120 min       Mash               Add 22.00 qt of water at 172.1 F    153.0 F

Hopefully it turns out good. Not expecting awesome, but I hope it's good at least. Go big or go home, live and learn.

I wish I had seen this yesterday. I just had my 3 piece blow off and kreusen oozing on the floor while my blowoff tube was sanitizing. Why do all my hobbies end up including high speed projectiles?

Back