What do you use to cut your dip tube?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgough

Reaction score
I want to cut 1/2 inch or so off of the serving dip tube in my corny keg. Will standard metal sheers work, or will they just pinch the tube?

shears will pinch. Use a tube cutter (normally used for copper pipe) and cut slowly, tightening the wheel slowly as you rotate around the tube. The other alternative is a hack saw followed by sanding to remove sharp edge.
mark
Beer Diary...

I have heard many people to advise against cutting; instead, bend the tube up a little. I do neither, myself, even if I "secondary" in the keg. The first few pints are a slight bit cloudy and off-color, but it clears up quickly.

Don't cut it dude. Just wait a little bit longer for whatever yeast sediment you have to settle a little harder, then tap.

If you wait long enough whatever crud is in there will set up and you'll later find a divot in the crusties around the dip tube. I get two cloudy pints tops if I leave the keg to sit long enough.

Just keep building that pipline, it will be OK.

But if you must, rolling pipe cutters like plumbers use.

Back