Pre-Steep Grains?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dr. Francois

Reaction score
So, I was thinking...if I have a few hours free, but not enough time to do a full batch, could I steep my specialty grains and store the strained liquid until brew-day?

How long would steeped liquid last in the fridge without losing flavor?

Thoughts?

You could, but it realistically only saves you about 45 minutes on your official brew day and will take longer overall. Remember even if you had some water that already had grains steeped in it, you will have to bring it to a boil

I agree, the only time you'll save is the actual steeping time, and it will cost you the time to heat it up and cool it down. It will also increase the chance of infection, since you're storing fermentable "wort" until brew day.

Raw grain isn't exactly sanitary, so generally you'd want to start your boil pretty soon after steeping. Just doesn't seem like a good idea to try and keep it very long.

I have never tried it before. I think I am going to try this some time this week. I am a bit worried about infection so i do not think i will let it sit more than 24 hours.

This works out well for me because my friend and I brew together. He does not own any AG equipment so he always does an extract kit from our LHBS ( listermann.com .)

I think I'm talked out of this idea. I might just get the specialty grains going on the stove indoors while I get everything set up outside. I'm pretty sure that would be a big time saver.

Thank you for your input!

Franc I do my steeps/mini-mashes inside while I get stuff going outside, I heat the sparge water inside as well. It works very well and if you wanna get together I'll be brewing on Friday.

Back