Notty (yeast in general) issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigmike99

Reaction score
So its about 1000 degrees here so even with an immersion chiller I can only get the wort to about 80. Transferred and chilled in my primary until it got to about 64.

Issue is I didn't think it would take so long and I rehydrated my notty about 8-9 hours before the chill happened. Pitched and don't think there's anything going on in the primary (I opened and looked). It's been about 30 hours. I do have another pack so should I pitch that?

I use Nottingham at around 60-65 and it has never failed (even out of date packets) ... At that temperature you may see a nice, well controlled, slow start (usually at the bottom of the fermenter at first) running less of a risk of a major over active fermentation, which Nottingham is noted for.

I would wait another day before re-pitching.

bosco

Not in a rush to repitch just want to make sure I didn't burn out the yeast by rehydrating too early

Nah, the slow start is from the cold pitch. Just be patient and wait. It might take 72 hours or so before you start to notice some activity.

Took 2 days but have a nice krausen going. Looks beautiful light color and very clean. Have to warm it up as my ferm fridge is a little tough to control temp exactly and it got down to 58'.

Took 2 days but have a nice krausen going. Looks beautiful light color and very clean. Have to warm it up as my ferm fridge is a little tough to control temp exactly and it got down to 58'.

Sounds like it's going to be beer.:)

Keep it closed and in the mid sixties for a month and it will be ready for the bottle or keg.

Love Nottingham..

bosco

I wouldn't worry about getting Notty that cool at the beginning of the ferment. I've pitched and run it the first few days at 55-57*F before with no issues.

The trick with Notty is to not allow it to get too warm (above 68*F) during the first week or so. It's one of my go-to dry yeasts, but you have to treat it to lower temps than you would other ale yeasts.

I'm trying to keep it on the lower side for sure. This is for the centennial blonde recipe posted on this site and one of the reasons I chose it is that it should be grain to glass within about 2 weeks kegging.

Update. Hydro test at 1.041 after about 5 days from 1.051 OG. Krausen about 1 inch thick. Was at 58' but gonna let it warm to about 66 to see if it starts to work itself a bit more.

Update. Hydro test at 1.041 after about 5 days from 1.051 OG. Krausen about 1 inch thick. Was at 58' but gonna let it warm to about 66 to see if it starts to work itself a bit more.

Yeah I had that same problem on that same beer, Centennial Blonde. Just keep it in mid 60's and when you hit your FG throw it in the keg. Will turn out fine.

Back