need to mill some steeping grains, don't own a mill

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

deepsouth

Reaction score
i've searched the forum and while i've found out tons of information about DIY (project) mills and store bought ones, i haven't found anything that can help me this weekend.....

i only need to mill about 6 ounces of specialty grains for an IPA i'm brewing this weekend.

what would be a good way to do this?

i was thinking ziplock bag and rolling pin.

will this work? will something work better?

thanks in advance.

peace
j

Ziplock with a rolling pin (or hammer) will be fine for such a small amount of grain. You could also clean out a coffee grinder(if you have one) and give it a few quick grinds, but you have to be careful to not turn the grain into flour.

Ziplock with a rolling pin (or hammer) will be fine for such a small amount of grain. You could also clean out a coffee grinder(if you have one) and give it a few quick grinds, but you have to be careful to not turn the grain into flour.

i thought about this as well. i do have a coffee grinder, but i'm not sure what the settings are. also thought about my "mini chopper".

A chopper or grinder may shred it too much, all you really want it to crack open the grains so they can convert and impart their flavor. I think a ziplock bag and anything heavy will do the job well. Just not ideal for 8+ pounds of grain.

It is really easy to overdo it with a coffee grinder. I have done the plastic baggie thing with a wine bottle on top of a wodden cutting board and it worked fine. Rolling pin would likely be better but couldn't find the darn thing when I needed it.

It is really easy to overdo it with a coffee grinder. I have done the plastic baggie thing with a wine bottle on top of a wodden cutting board and it worked fine. Rolling pin would likely be better but couldn't find the darn thing when I needed it.

I put a nice dimpled surface in a cutting board with the ziplock+extract can method. Remember that the grain is pretty hard and can F up whatever is underneath it.

B

The last time i picked up granes at my LHBS i was in a hurry and forgot to crush them. I just used a food processor to give them a little crack, and then finished using the ziplock and wodden mallet method and i found it worked great. Just don't over do it in the food processor. I was doing about 2-3lbs of grain.

Back