Rousing yeast

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

climateboy

Reaction score
Howdy.

So, my Bell's Two-Hearted Ale clone, fermented with bottle-harvested (and stepped-up) yeast, is a week in the fermenter. I took a gravity reading on Saturday when I dry-hopped it, and it was at 1.018. Bell's says their FG is 1.016 (and their OG is 1.060, which I hit).

I know it's only a week in the fermenter, but should I consider rousing the yeast if the gravity hasn't dropped further in the next week or so? Or is 1.018 close enough?

Thanks,

CB

i'd call it close enough. that being said, a gentle rouse and bumping the temp up a couple degrees probably wouldn't hurt anything either.

either way, i wouldn't worry about 1.018.

Thanks. Right now it's sitting in a water bath, which is keeping it at 72 deg. I might take it out of there and see what happens.

Thanks, Revvy.

If I can ask, what's the special significance of being below 1.020?

And, are you planning on logging 7,300 more posts in 2008-2009?

Probably, if you keep getting questions like these.

Thanks, Revvy.

If I can ask, what's the special significance of being below 1.020?

And, are you planning on logging 7,300 more posts in 2008-2009?

Probably, if you keep getting questions like these.

Over 1.020 is pretty much bottle bomb territory....

I don't pay attention to my postcount...the majority of it is until recently when certain silly new members of the gnomic variety came on, comes from answering questions....So probably....

:D

Ah, I see. But would you say there's a noticeable difference in taste, mouthfeel, between 1.018 and 1.016?

I don't pay attention to my postcount...the majority of it is until recently when certain silly new members of the gnomic variety came on, comes from answering questions....So probably....

:D

Your help is greatly helpful to us newbies though and i thank you. Slainte:mug:

Latest posts

Back