Westmalle Dubbel recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I don't off the top of my head, but I have a suggestion...

Candi syrup. I just brewed a dubbel that is going to slay, and the dark candi syrup made a huge difference.

Yeah I'll probably use that but I'm looking for a proven recipe that is close to the original. I tried a swag on my own and it is more like a Belgian golden ale. It's kind of like duvel. Pretty good stuff but not what I was shooting for.

Regards,
Al

My recipe is as follows:
12 lb. pils
1 lb. caramunich
1 lb. vienna
.75 lb. special b

1.5 oz Goldings @60
1 oz. saaz @ 10
1.5 lb. Dark candi syrup (not hard sugar-huge difference)

Yeast is up to you. I used the WLP550 for this. Just a sample tonight while bottleing was dark fruit, vanilla, the special b came through fairly well so there's a good amount of caramel in there, and the yeast profile really rounds it all out. 3 months in a bottle and this will be one of the best things I've made.

They say Wyeast 3787 is the closest relative to the Westmalle strain. I don't know if culturing yeast from a bottle will yield the correct profile; I don't know if Westmalle conditions with a different strain (some breweries do).

Other than that, I can't be of much assistance. Good luck!

Bob

if the literature is to be believed (and i believe it), westmalle uses only one yeast in all of its beers and for all bottle conditioning. it also provides yeast to westvleteren and achel.

Back