Cheapest beer you can make?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Baja_Brewer

Reaction score
I know it isnt always about the money, but Im new to brewing and Ive already spent a good bit making several batches. I realize that with the price of malt, nothings going to be to cheap as long as I keep brewing extract... Im just not sure I know enough to move to all grain.

My question is this, what is the cheapest brew that you know how to make (cost per bottle or otherwise) that has a decent flavor and abv? links to recipes would be greatly appreciated! :mug:

I'd say that you could do BierMunchers Cream of 3 crops....convert it to extract. It's pretty cheap. You can add that Alcohol boost from AHS for like $2. and save some on the malt. You're pushing BMC here, but it'll be cheap.

and If you wait till you think you know enough to go all grain, you'll NEVER do it. Just build a Mash Tun, Get a Turkey Fryer, and go for it.

Check out Northern Brewer's kits. I think some of the basic ones are around $20, such as the Scottish/60. Not big alcohol and low hops saves money, I haven't used it, but this is a good company. Use dry yeast to save $$. And I don't think buying ingredients individually saves money vs. kits.

You could consider countertop partial mashing...that way you can pick up the skills needed for allgrain, do it on your stove, and still cut the prices substantially by replacing some of the extract fermentatbles with the cheaper grain... Google "Byo Countertop Partial Mashing" to find a great article on it...

Also if you go that route look at my brown ale recipe in my pull down...it will show you how by increasing the 2-row, you decrease the more expensive extract.

Having said that, my cheapest extract with grains recipe is probably my Amber Ale...it tastes nearly identical with Bell's Amber. It's extract, a little bit of steeping grains and 2 ounces of hops...Use US-05 dry yeast and it is under 20 bucks to brew 5 gallons.

Grain Bill
1.5 lbs. Munton’s Crystal 60l
6 lbs. Amber Dme.

Steep of Crystal 60
3 gallons steep to 165 deg for 30 minutes. rinse with quart of warm water. Add approx 2 pnds. DME. Bring to boil. 2 ounces hops at 60. Remaining DME @ 20. Moss at 15. 1 oz. Hops at flameout.

Boil & Hops
2.0 oz Cascade 5.9 % at 60 min.
1.0 oz. Cascade 5.9% at flameout.

Also by washing and harvesting your yeast, you save big money that way!

By buying grain and hops in bulk and propagating yeast, I have managed to get my Bavarian hefeweizen and Kolsch under $0.13 per 12 oz. serving.

Go all grain. It's nowhere near as difficult as you think. Seriously. You dump hot water into grain, mix it up, let it sit. Drain, add more hot water, mix then drain. From that point on, it's just like making an extract beer.

Back