Shelf live of Apfelwine

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Lanfox

Reaction score
Any one have an idea of a shelf life of Edworts apfelwine after bottled? or any other cider?

I plan on using the wyeast 3068.

I think I will be testing the long term tasting of Apfelwein. I didn't really care for the stuff I made so it has been a very slow process to dispose of it. :drunk: At my current rate I should have some left 24 months after starting fermentation. I think it has improved somewhat but still tastes like a cheap apple wine cooler.

Craig

BigKahuna said:
Never heard of Apfelwein sticking around long enough to find out. Many have said that if you can stash it for a year, you are in for a treat.

I have some Apfelwein that is about a year-old now. Some still in wine bottles, some carbonated in beer bottles. I haven't cracked one open for a while now - probably 6 mo. - but I may try some out tonight and report back. :)

I'm looking forward to brewing and kegging some Apfelwein so that I can backsweeten a tad, but I just have been putting too much beer into the kegs. :)

I found a 7-year old 6 pack that I had lost. Best cider I ever tasted.
At those ABV levels, I guess you treat it like wine?

With 3068 I wouldn't think the shelf life would be as long as wine yeast. If it is anything like hefe's it isn't that conducive to aging. I have year old apfelwein with montrachet and it is even better, although I didn't like the stuff until 6 months out.

I made a couple batches of Apfelwein that are about 6 months old now.

I also have a couple bottles of 13-14 year old mead hanging around...I'll probably save them until my retirement party in 16 months...;)

I'll keep you informed about the shelf life then...

Back