So why is this forum so slow?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Staestc

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I want to get into making more than paneer, and there is a lot of information here, but I'm wondering why there are not many posts here very often. Are all you cheese heads hanging out at another cheese forum that I should check out?

There are apparently very few of us out there. I was on two cheese forums and it ended up with just me and one other person talking back and forth.
CheeseForum.org has tons of excellent information but no open forum. I have answered most of my own questions here. Best bet so far.
Medievalcheese.blogspot.com has interesting articles and links to recipe's and more.
New England Cheese Making Supplies (lots of recipes) and Amazon are good places to get what you need but there are more.
Keep searching you will find it here and there.
From my own experience it is necessary that you follow the cook times, stir times, press weights and times with the utmost attention to get the best result. If you do some aged cheeses do not get in a hurry. If it needs 6 months then wait 6 months. If you want a mold ripened cheese like Blue or Camembert, make sure first that you can support the humidity level and temperature needed. (You can actually age these in tupperware or a plastic bag just watch the excess humidity.) For Paneer, Mozzarella, and like cheeses you can get fairly instant satisfaction. Check out the sites I mentioned and get a few cheese books. Good Luck to you.

But it would be good if there was an active cheesemaking discussion forum.. somewhere... Just started making cheese - paneer, ricotta, a kefir ripened hard cheese and a failed mozzarella (not yet given up on it quite yet)... One book I really like - as much for his philosophy as for his technique and recipes is The Art of Natural Cheesemaking by David Asher (Chelsea Green, 2015)

But it would be good if there was an active cheesemaking discussion forum.. somewhere... Just started making cheese - paneer, ricotta, a kefir ripened hard cheese and a failed mozzarella (not yet given up on it quite yet)... One book I really like - as much for his philosophy as for his technique and recipes is The Art of Natural Cheesemaking by David Asher (Chelsea Green, 2015)

I still make cheese. I had a salad last night with blue cheese dressing, made from some of my own blue cheese. That stuff ages great.

The best technical info is over at CheeseForum. Making good cheese is challenging, moreso than beer. That is probably why it's not nearly as popular.

I've got that book. Just skimmed it a bit though.

Thanks for the tips on where to find information folks!

I still make cheese. I had a salad last night with blue cheese dressing, made from some of my own blue cheese. That stuff ages great.

I've seen pictures of your blue cheeses. That's what pushed me over the edge to get into making cheese! lol :mug:

Back