Starter not starting?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

hal simmons

Reaction score
So I made my first starter last night with a Wyeast 1098 smack pack around 10:00 using these instructions:

- Use a 1/2 gallon growler
- Fill 1/2 full of water, then dump that water into a pot.
- Bring the water to a boil
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of plain light DME
- Boil it, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- Cover it and cool in an ice water bath
- Once cool, transfer it to the growler, and add the yeast
- Shake vigourously, then put an airlock on it

I smacked the pack and it expanded as it should. I pitched the yeast and shook it vigorously a few times before going to bed, but when I got up this morning it appears nothing has happened, except a layer of yeast cake on the bottom. It looked like the yeast had done some multiplying, but were sitting on the bottom. I've been swirling/shaking it ever hour or so this morning. The temps at night and this morning have been between 68-70 consistently.

The airlock is burping once every 5-6 seconds, but other than that, there are no visible signs of fermentation. No krausen, just a milky brown color, no skim on top, nothing.

Is this thing working or do I need to get some more yeast before brewing later today?

Sounds like it's working just fine! You don't typically get krausens with starters, and sometimes they ferment so fast that you miss it. You will get a nice supply of yeast on the bottom, though!

hal simmons said:
So I made my first starter last night with a Wyeast 1098 smack pack around 10:00 using these instructions:

- Use a 1/2 gallon growler
- Fill 1/2 full of water, then dump that water into a pot.
- Bring the water to a boil
- Remove from heat, add 1 cup of plain light DME
- Boil it, stirring, for about 15 minutes.
- Cover it and cool in an ice water bath
- Once cool, transfer it to the growler, and add the yeast
- Shake vigourously, then put an airlock on it

I smacked the pack and it expanded as it should. I pitched the yeast and shook it vigorously a few times before going to bed, but when I got up this morning it appears nothing has happened, except a layer of yeast cake on the bottom. It looked like the yeast had done some multiplying, but were sitting on the bottom. I've been swirling/shaking it ever hour or so this morning. The temps at night and this morning have been between 68-70 consistently.

The airlock is burping once every 5-6 seconds, but other than that, there are no visible signs of fermentation. No krausen, just a milky brown color, no skim on top, nothing.

Is this thing working or do I need to get some more yeast before brewing later today?

Ya, it is working. There is very little Krausen found in a starter.

BTW, you may want to replace the airlock with a loosely fitted piece of aluminum foil. That will allos some air in, but no crud.

Back