Experimental Hops from hopsshack.com

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

dawgmatic

Reaction score
These are the experimental hop varieties that hopsshack.com has recently released. I'm not sure how I feel about the chocolate coconut variety but I may try out the Lemon drop. I can't find any info on these through google so if I do end up trying them I will report back to here. Anyone else who tries them should do the same

Lemon Drop
Big herbal, blackberry, “Super Cascade”, menthol, grassy, citrusy, lemon, citrus, pine, tobacco, licorice, orange, grapefruit, pepper, “Amarillo like”, mint.
Typical Alpha Acids 5.5 - 7 %

Chocolate Coconut
Dill, herbal candy, cocoa, anise, tropical, saltine cracker, mint tea, peach, stone fruit, Jolly Rancher, passion fruit, caramel, toffee, vanilla, chocolate, watermelon, cocoa butter, coconut, chocolate.
Typical Alpa Acids 14 - 15%

I got all my stuff ready for this weekend. I'll be splitting up a 5 gallon batch and making 5 one gallon maris otter SMASH pale ales.
Chocolate coconut and lemon drop will be among the mix

Making a Lemon Drop single hop in couple weeks to try it out- Has that dank, piney resin of simcoe but has an overriding pungent lemony/citrus that just coats the inside of your nose, then fades dynamically into a complex range of stone fruit and menthol- Can't wait to try this stuff! A brewing buddy of mine ordered a few of these new experimental ones- The Chocolate Coconut, and the Meridian smell like nothing I have ever smelled in my life- Though convoluted, the descriptions are pretty spot on. He also got some El Dorado and man o man if that stuff tastes anything like it smells, it may turn out to be my new favorite hop variety.

I got all my stuff ready for this weekend. I'll be splitting up a 5 gallon batch and making 5 one gallon maris otter SMASH pale ales.
Chocolate coconut and lemon drop will be among the mix

dawgmatic, how did the ales turn out? really interested in the chocolate coconut flavor and aroma profiles

i wish they offered them in a smaller qty, i'd order 6oz to smash some.

damn, they're still $2 an oz though :drunk:

it's still tempting to do something fun for my club. unfortunately i can only do a minimum of 5 gallons in my keggles (electric) maybe i can do a low gravity pale? if i do a smash i fear i may lose a bit of mouth feel....

I just got some of both experimental hops and I can't wait for them to arrive. I also got some whole citra and sorachi ace. For those who have used or bought some of the lemon drop do they seem like a good mix with citra and/or sorachi ace for an american ipa?

dawgmatic, how did the ales turn out? really interested in the chocolate coconut flavor and aroma profiles

Unfortunately out of the five batches the chocolate coconut picked up an infection along way. It did have a slightly earthy cocoa aroma, but the taste was too bad to get an accurate description. The lemon drop reminded me of cascade with a hint of menthol, which did not impress me the least given that better alternatives are available for cheaper

I don't know ahout these new hops yet but what do you guys think of this extract recipie using the experimental lemon drop hops? I have four oz of them and I got 2 oz of whole cone citra and sorachi ace becuase I thought their flavors might compliment each other.

Hopicide
5 gallons
IBU(Rager) 62
ABV 9.6%
SRM 10

6 lbs. Marris Otter Dme (45.1%)
6 lbs. Northernbrewer Golden lme (45.1%)
1lbs 5oz Gambrinus Honey malt (9.9%)

1 oz Citra 13.8%AA 15 mins boil
2 oz Sorachi Ace 15.1%AA 5 mins boil
2 oz Experimental Lemon Drop 6.4%AA 5 min boil
1 oz Citra 13.8%AA 5 min boil
1-2 oz Lemdrop Dryhop for a week or two

California ale yeast WLP001 in a starter batch a couple of days before brewing

I know this isnt quite hopbursting but will this hop schedule work well or should i vary it up? I wanted to use the honey malt instead of a crystal malt because I think it goes better with hops. Should I add some dextrine malt for body or can the honey malt do this?

I don't know ahout these new hops yet but what do you guys think of this extract recipie using the experimental lemon drop hops? I have four oz of them and I got 2 oz of whole cone citra and sorachi ace becuase I thought their flavors might compliment each other.

Hopicide
5 gallons
IBU(Rager) 62
ABV 9.6%
SRM 10

6 lbs. Marris Otter Dme (45.1%)
6 lbs. Northernbrewer Golden lme (45.1%)
1lbs 5oz Gambrinus Honey malt (9.9%)

1 oz Citra 13.8%AA 15 mins boil
2 oz Sorachi Ace 15.1%AA 5 mins boil
2 oz Experimental Lemon Drop 6.4%AA 5 min boil
1 oz Citra 13.8%AA 5 min boil
1-2 oz Lemdrop Dryhop for a week or two

California ale yeast WLP001 in a starter batch a couple of days before brewing

I know this isnt quite hopbursting but will this hop schedule work well or should i vary it up? I wanted to use the honey malt instead of a crystal malt because I think it goes better with hops. Should I add some dextrine malt for body or can the honey malt do this?

You should be fine with the honey malt, if you're really worried about the body you can just mash a couple degrees higher

Back