cream soda

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Crazy8

Reaction score
So i found out how to make a delicious cream soda and can't stop drinking the stuff. So last night while I was enjoying a tall glass of it and my wife sat across from me drinking sunkist, it hit me. What about an orange cream soda? Here is my question. How would i make that possible?

Right now I use almond and vanilla extract. Is there an orange extract? Perhaps that's what i would use.

Thanks for the help.

Crazy8 said:
So then orange extract is what i would want to use then for orange cream soda?

I don't know, I've yet to make soda. :) I was just telling you where you could find it. I use mine in waffles and ice cream.

So what exactly are essential oils and do you think fresh oranges would give the desired flavor? I may have yet another experiment here...lol

Thank you very much. If I were to use fresh squeezed OJ, any thoughts on how much I may want to use in a small batch that yields only 2 cups of syrup? At least what might be a good starting point. Thank you very much for the help.

On that I have no idea. Are you making different syrups for one carbed up water fountain like the old times, or bottling up different ones?

If your bottling, I'd say just use the orange juice whole. Otherwise you are going to have to experiment, or look up on how to do a reduction. Maybe a chef would be able to answer this.

Maybe you should try picking up some orange torani syup and try it out, then attempt to replicate or expand on it. I'm guessing the ph of oranges/syrup/ and sun kiss may be the clue to how much you will need.

Well here OS what i am doing.
1 cup water
2 cups sugar
Get to boiling point
Put in 1 tsp. of vanilla extract and 1 tap. of almond extract.
Put in canning jar.
When ready to drink use about 1/4 cup of the syrup for 12oz of club soda water. Then add just a touch of heavy whipping cream and stir.

So that's my regular recipe. So now using this same basic recipe and methods, I'm just trying to figure out how to incorporate orange flavor to it.

UPDATE: I did try orange extract last night and I'm not sure if its quite what i AM looking for. Maybe I need to use more than 1.5 tsp.?

If you're already using extracts, that's probably the way to go. These will contain the aromatic aldehydes that give oranges their flavor/aroma and will mix well with water/syrup as they are in an alcohol solvent.

If you want to use essential oils, you will need something like guar gum to get the oil to mix with water. This basically contains the same aromatic compounds as the extract, but they're contained in the oil that actually comes from the orange rather than in an alcohol carrier.

You could use the orange juice, but this wall actually add less orange flavor, and more tart/juiciness (which comes from citric acid that is not contained in either the extract or the oil).

You could also try orange zest, which is basically using the peel of an actual orange and pulling the essential oil out of that, but you risk getting some of the bitterness from the pith(white part of the peel) along with your zest. To do it this way, just put the orange zest into your boiling water and strain it out before adding sugar.

Bottom line is any of these four methods will work, it just depends on the subtleties of the orange flavor that you want to accentuate in your finished beverage.

I hope that helps.

That is amazing information. I may just try the orange zest thing and see how that works. I may also try to add more orange extract and see if that gets me closer to the orange flavor/strength I am looking for. hanks again for all of that. Those are all great ideas and good quality info. :)

sicabeer said:
Why not fresh oranges?

Also look into essential oils.

Be careful, not all essential oils are food grade. Even though they may be same 'flavor' they can also be graded for use in cosmetics, perfumes, etc.

My vote is for making a simple syrup which has orange peels steeped within, avoid all pith. Then play with the proportions of orange and your cream base, perhaps a splash of half-n-half.

I agree to be careful if using essensial oils. Look for places that use it for cupcakes and treats. Also follow up with contacting the vendor to verify that its food safe.

Old old thread but I am going to be making some root beer and maybe vanilla cream soda so curious if I can get some recipes/ideas over the weekend. I have made vanilla cream soda once just kinda going off of taste/rough recipes. I made a one gallon batch that turned out quite tasty.

1 gallon water
2 cups sugar
2 T vanilla extract (imitation for my first attempt)
1/4 tsp bakers yeast
dash of coriander
(optional almond extract taste)

1. I didn't do a full boil, just heated water up to maybe 90 to dissolve sugar and this is when I added a dash of coriander
2. added vanilla
3. put in 1 gallon glass jar (old tabasco jar)
4. pitched yeast when it cooled down a little (80ish degrees)
5. capped it and let sit for 3 days
6. syphoned into bottles
7. chilled

It tasted delicious. Came out nice and clear with just a little bit of a tan tent like a lot of the cream sodas you buy. I let my ferment longer than the 48hrs I read cause I wanted to dry it just a little and have a bit of alcohol (guessing about 1%)

Thinking about trying a 5gallon batch but I think I may just force carb because I want to make sure it isn't hazy and there will be kids. Any input is much appreciated.

Thanks

So what exactly are essential oils and do you think fresh oranges would give the desired flavor? I may have yet another experiment here...lol

Essential oils are either steam distilled or expressed from plant parts. Steam distilled essential oils typically have a shelf life of several decades. However, essential oils that are cold pressed from citrus peels become rancid within 1 year after the bottle is opened, unless an antioxidant, such as BHT, is added. The vast majority of the orange essential oils offered for sale are cold pressed without added antioxidants. However, steam distilled orange oils, also called "orange oil terpenes", see http://www.thegoodscentscompany.com/data/es1029631.html , are also available. Orange oil terpenes is less bitter than either cold pressed orange peel oil or orange zest and therefore more suitable for making imitation orange juice because orange juice is not bitter. The main flavor chemical (terpene) in orange oil is D-Limonene which you can buy at http://shop.perfumersapprentice.com/p-7293-limonene-d.aspx , 4 ml for $2.

Of course folks have to ask what is "essential oils", because it is one of the stupidest warping of the rules of english ever. It should be something like "essence oils", but the convention is set and we have to live with it.

Back